Chapter 12

To say that things were awkward after that, would be an understatement.

True to his word, Reed successfully started a small fire that we were able to cook my biscuit-like concoction over. I'd wanted to comment on the pathetic attempt, to break the tension, but I couldn't do it.

Even though I barely knew Reed, I understood how uncharacteristic his solemnity was, and I was intimidated into staying quiet. I used the excuse of washing up at the stream, just to put a little space between us for a few minutes. Not that I hadn't needed it, of course. I was absolutely filthy by this point.

Reed cooked the mass of flavorless dough and then quickly put out the fire. He covered it with dirt to hide the evidence and we headed back inside to eat.

"I'd like to be a gentleman and all..." Reed gestured to the cot after we'd finished eating and I'd yawned hugely. "But I need to get some sleep if I'm going to be much use tomorrow. That won't happen at the table."

Understanding his meaning, I swallowed thickly and stared wide-eyed at the only thing that could pass for a bed in the room. I couldn't very well banish him from using it. This place was more his than mine, and, payment or not, he was doing an enormous favor for me by leading me home.

But still. I'd never shared a bed with anyone before. Not even any of my brothers. Reed was basically still a total stranger, and a large, male one at that.

"It's pretty big," he added. "It wouldn't be much different from sleeping near each other on the floor."

In theory maybe, but we'd still be sharing a bed.

I took a deep breath and nodded. "It's not really right to ask you to let me have it to myself, and you do need to sleep."

Seeming relieved, he carried the lantern to the cot and sat down.

"Good, because I was going to do it anyway. I was just being polite."

I suppressed a smile at the playful sarcasm, hopeful that we could return to the way things were before that awkward moment.

Yawning again, I went to the opposite side of the cot and examined the place where I would have to lie down. It didn't seem too bad...but I cringed, thinking about what might be living in the slight padding.

"Would you rather try the floor?" Reed smirked.

"I might." I raised my chin and brushed off the dust and dirt that had collected on the surface. Maybe the poor lighting was actually a blessing.

Reed kicked off his shoes and set the lantern on the dirt floor beside him.

Opting to leave my shoes on, I laid down on my back and tried not to focus on the fact that I wasn't alone. Or on what my parents or Alex would say if they knew.

But of course, it's not as if we had a choice.

Reed was about to put the lantern out and the thought made me panic.

"Leave it on," I said, making him stop. "Please?" I added when he looked at me curiously.

"Afraid of what might happen?" he teased.

Feeling myself flush, I shook my head. "I've been underground, in total darkness, with Lord-knows-what all around me, quite enough to last a lifetime. I'd really appreciate it if you could leave it on."

I saw sympathy in his eyes and he nodded. "Alright," he said lying back with his hands under his head. "Doesn't really matter to me, I guess."

I let out a breath, relieved for the moment and tried to believe that I was comfortable enough to sleep. It shouldn't have been difficult. I'd barely gotten any sleep in the last several days. What I had been able to get wasn't very restful, and I could feel how exhausted I was now.