Chapter 14

We hadn't traveled very far when Reed decided to ask.

"Any reason you can think of for being hunted by soldiers?" he asked casually.

I wasn't sure what to say. Would their involvement change his mind about helping me? Maybe he wouldn't want to take quite that big of a risk.

Sensing my hesitation, he stopped walking. "Exactly how powerful are the people who took you, anyway?"

After a minute of avoiding his eye, I sighed. "He's fairly powerful," I admitted.

"And you're still going with not knowing why they did it?" he asked doubtfully.

"It's true," I said raising my chin.

His skepticism didn't lessen.

"Well mostly," I added quietly.

"And now he's got soldiers out looking for you," he mused. "That will make things considerably more difficult."

"You're not....going to leave me now are you?" I asked, biting my lip. What would I do on my own?

He looked insulted. "Do I seem like a coward to you?"

"No!" I said quickly, shocked that he would make that assumption. "I just meant, well, you didn't exactly sign up for this."

"I don't go back on my word," he said stiffly. "I said I'd get you to the kingdom and I will. It'll take more than a few soldiers to stop me."

I smiled in gratitude, but he didn't smile back. He started walking again and I could tell that I'd really offended him.

"I'm sorry," I tried after a minute of trailing behind him. "I didn't mean to insult you. I don't know what I'd do if you weren't helping me. The possibility that you might not want to....well it scared me."

He glanced at me unhappily, and I decided I wasn't helping my case by talking, so I shut my mouth and walked in silence.

After a long tense moment, he spoke. "It's alright. You don't know me that well, and your worries are understandable. Just keep in mind that I do what I say, alright? I'll get you home."

Offering a small smile, I nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We walked and walked - endlessly walked, only stopping when I just couldn't keep moving any longer. Which, unfortunately, happened several times and with increasing frequency. I couldn't help it. I wasn't used to this kind of exertion. Before this, a mile or so was the most I'd ever walked at any one time in my life.

Reed hid it well, but I know my slow pace was frustrating for him. He could probably make this journey in half the time on his own.

"Alright, I'm ready." I stood after one of our many breaks.

Reed smirked from his spot on the ground. "Sure you are."

"No, I'm fine," I lied. Honestly, I could hardly feel my feet anymore, aside from the pain, of course. But we still had a long way to go.

He didn't move other than to take another bite of his apple, apparently not fooled.

"It'll be too dark soon," he said. "Besides, I'm guessing you'd barely make another mile before having to stop again. We're better off resting now and continuing in the morning."

"Wait," I said, looking around. "Stay here? All night?"

"Unless you've got a better idea."

Of course I didn't. But sleeping here? On the ground? I assumed we would find...well maybe not another cabin, but some sort of shelter.