Interludes

Interlude

I - Propaganda

i.

The ad had been playing at regular intervals on TV for days now. At first it was shocking; now it was a backdrop to life's day to day activities. Always the same. The Martian-programming would blink out, and within ten seconds, it would follow:

We interrupt your regular broadcasting to bring you this important message from your Supply Chief, Dr. Adam Roark. No one really knew when he became a doctor. His face would take over the screen, looking very sincere. Now and then, pictures of Mars with its beautiful, extravagant castles and scenery would show. As you know, our lawmakers occupy the planet Mars. Sent a generation ago, they were to keep the peace. Unfortunately, they've gotten a bit big for their britches. The friendly smirk, the little laugh at that - a little joke among friends. Things have been going on up there, things I need to tell you.

Then, the pictures of the experiments. No words necessary. Fetal testing. Animal testing. Euthanasia of the old. We, as a planet, one mankind, cannot let this go on. They must be eradicated. Finally - Join me in our plan. Except, he never said what the plan was, just that they must all climb aboard his wagon.

And nearly everyone was.

ii.

Polling Results - Broadcast Regularly

3/16/3017 Support for Eradication of the Martian Liars: 50%

3/21/3017 Support for Eradication of the Martian Liars: 63%

4/2/3016 Support for Eradication of the Martian Liars: 81%

He gained support rapidly, according to the broadcasts.

In the streets, you'd never notice the difference. People went about their days and only whispered to trusted friends, in quiet places, whether this might be the right thing to do. Nobody wanted to be the one to say it out loud.

iii.

Jimmy Graham saw the flyer on his way home from school. He'd seen them pasted all over the place, but he'd been ignoring it. Seemed like everyone else was going along with it, maybe he ought to see exactly what they said. He picked it up.

Picture of a man's face in hues of gray and blue. Serious looking. Reclaim the Earth - Eradicate the Martian Liars.

Liars never win. Thought Jimmy. That's what he'd always been told.

Anyone who wanted what was best for Earth sounded alright in his book. This was his home, he should protect it.

***

Herrera's prayers, if he prayed at all, were short these days. A simple Dear Lord and nothing more. He figured that the Lord, if he was there at all, knew his mind.

Today's Dear Lord was related to the flyers.

Picture of aman's face in hues of gray and blue. Serious looking. Looked downright honorable. Reclaim the Earth - Eradicate the Martian Liars. Printed across the bottom. Seemed true, paired with the face.

Too many people will believe this. He thought. There will be death.