Chapter 4

Blake was not looking forward to the assembly as she took her usual seat at the back of the hall. It wasn't long until Jughead joined her as the final people began to shuffle in. He pulled his laptop out and balanced it on his knee. Jughead grabbed her hand and dragged his thumb over her knuckles but remained silent. She caught Archie's eye and he offered her a small smile from his place next to Moose and Reggie a few rows in front. The teachers were all sat in front of the stand and Cheryl, Jason's sister, was with them. The Principe stood and asked for a moment of silence for Jason.

After the minute was up Cheryl stood and took to the stage. "Thank you for that moment of silence. Many of you were lucky enough to have known my brother personally. Each and every one of you meant the world to Jason. I loved my brother. He was and always will be my soulmate."

"So, I speak with the confidence only a twin could have, Jason wouldn't want us to spend the year mourning. Jason would want us to move on with our lives. Which is why I've asked the School Board not to cancel the Back-to-School semiformal." This earned cheering from the crowd and Blake momentarily met Cheryl's eyes. "But rather, to let us use it as a way to heal, collectively, and celebrate my brother's too, too short life on this mortal coil. Thank you all." Cheryl finished and stepped down off the stage as everyone clapped.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Blake found herself sat on one of the outside benches at lunch with Archie, Betty and Kevin. Jughead had disappeared momentarily, but, Kevin had told Betty about her and Jughead.

"You've been dating all summer!" Betty exclaimed as Blake rested her head on the table.

"Yes, we have." Blake groaned as Betty got excited. Archie chuckled at the pair.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Betty enquired with a huge smile.

"Because, everyone freaks out." Blake gestured to her to prove a point.

"Yes, because you're endgame." Kevin chipped in.

"Really, Kevin. Who isn't endgame?" Blake shot back but Kevin just smiled. "Anyway, Arch, you said you were gonna let them listen to your song." Blake shifted the conversation off of herself.

"If you two really want to?" Archie was nervous about what people would think.

"Of course, we do!" Betty assured him while Kevin just nodded.

Archie pulled out his laptop and opened the sound file. "I haven't had any actual professional input so it is a little rusty." He made excuses.

"Archibald Andrews just play them the goddamn track 'cause it's awesome." Blake assured him.

He sighed and clicked the file and the music started before the lyrics blended into the melody. Archie fidgeted his hands as Blake smiled at him. As they went through the song Betty's and Kevin's smiles grew. They were halfway through when Veronica walked over.

"Can I join?" She asked with a smile as Archie pretty much slammed his laptop shut.

"Yeah." Betty replied

"What are we doing?" Veronica questioned as she sat next to Kevin and Blake across from Betty and Archie.

"Listening to one of Archie's songs." Betty smiled

"I thought we were going to have to pretend to like it, but it's actually really good." Kevin said sincerely.

"Wait, that was you singing?" Veronica inquired. "Something you wrote?"

"It's rough." Archie muttered

"No, it's great." Betty chimed in before he could go any further.

"It's incredible, actually, the little snippet I heard. Is that your thing? Music? Are you doing something with that?" Veronica bombarded Archie with questions.

"Yeah, that's the plan." Archie smiled. "So, how's your first day going? Good?"

"Not to be a complete narcissist, but I thought people would be more..." Veronica started.

"Obsessed with you?" Kevin cut in. "Any other year, you'd be trending number one, for sure. This year, though, it's all about Cheryl trying to win the Best Supporting Psycho Oscar for her role as Riverdale High's bereaved Red Widow."

Archie noticed the look on Blake's face and quickly changed the subject. "Hey, I should go. I got that meeting with Grundy and then football try-outs, so." He got up and Blake gave him a grateful look.

"You play football too? What don't you do?" Veronica queried but Archie walked off.

"Before you ask, Blue Jasmine, no, she has not invited him to the dance yet." Kevin tried.

But Betty started talking over him "Not yet, and don't talk about Archie."

"Veronica Lodge, I'd heard whisperings." Cheryl walked up. "I'm Cheryl Blossom, may I sit? Betty, would you mind?" Betty moved over and Blake gave her a sympathetic look. "So, what are you three hens gossiping about?" None of them spoke. "Archie's Efron-esque emergence from the chrysalis of puberty?"

Betty shook her head at Veronica. "Extracurriculars. Weatherbee wants me to sign up for a few." Veronica covered

"Cheerleading. You must. I'm senior captain of the River Vixens." Cheryl said as she flipped her hair over her shoulder.

"Is cheerleading still a thing?" Kevin cut in.

"Is being the Gay Best Friend still a thing?" Cheryl shot back. "Some people say it's retro, I say it's eternal and iconic." Cheryl said.

"At Spence, I sat at the top of the Elites' pyramid. I'm in. Betty, you're trying out, too." Veronica said causing Betty to choke.

"Okay before this conversation goes any further, I have track try-outs so, bye." Blake got up and left to a chorus of byes from the table.

She headed straight up to the track and ran until all of her problems seemed to disappear behind her.