Chapter 33

A/N: If you're enjoying this story you can buy me a coffee :) https://ko-fi.com/kat5591

___________________

When Jughead walked into the Blue and Gold office the next morning he was expecting to find Blake. Instead he was met with Sheriff Keller and the Principal looking worriedly at the Jason Blossom 'murder board'.

"Hey." Jughead said warily as he set his bag down.

"Hey." Keller replied; not taking his eyes off the board.

"Uh, what's up?" Jughead's voice shook with nerves.

"I'm going to need you to come down to the station with me." Keller said finally lifting his gaze to Jughead's.

They both escorted Jughead out of the office. The other students stared as they walked past. Blake was stood talking to Archie and Betty when she locked eyes with her nervous boyfriend. "Jughead?" She went to step towards him but Archie grabbed her arm.

"Call my dad." Jughead said quickly as they walked past

"Yeah, yeah." Archie stumbled over his words.

"Of course." Betty said at the same time as Blake just stared in shock.

____________________________________________________________________________

Jughead was sat in a sterile white interrogation room. The only thing on the wall was a corkboard filled with missing posters. The translucent window let in a dim light and illuminated the table and chairs he and Keller were sat in.

"Forensics came back on the car." Keller started as Jughead glared at the table. "Despite the fire, we were able to pull a pair of prints off the trunk. Yours and Blake's. This is, of course, no surprise. But what did surprise me was this." Keller grabbed a file, opened it and spun it to face Jughead. "Your prints were on file from an incident that happened six years ago, where you spent some time with the Riverdale Juvenile Delinquent Centre for "Attempting to burn down Riverdale Elementary School." Keller read from the file.

"I was playing with matches, and that's a pretty tenuous connection for a sheriff." Jughead shot back.

"Well, Principal Weatherbee also allowed me to have a look at your school records. You have a long and rough history, Mr. Jones. Bullied a lot." Keller stated as he opened Jughead's school file.

"Yeah, my name is Jughead." 

"By the football team, in particular. I can only assume that would have included Jason Blossom." Keller said and Jughead finally caught on to what he was insinuating. "So, how about this? How about you tell me your whereabouts on the week of July 11th?"

"This is crazy. You think I..." Jughead trailed off as his voice caught in his throat.

Keller sighed. "Jughead. A kid like you, raised on the wrong side of the tracks by a deadbeat dad, bullied by kids like Jason Blossom. Who wouldn't want to lash out at that?"

"I'm not talking to you anymore." Jughead muttered on the verge of tears. "I want a lawyer."

_____________________________________________________________________________

After what seemed like forever, Keller finally let Blake into the room to see Jughead. She pulled the chair Keller had been sitting on next to him and pulled him into her. He buried his head in her shoulder. She could tell he was close to breaking point. His eyes were red rimmed already from tears he refused to let escape.

"Hey, everything's going to be fine." Blake cooed.

Jughead pulled back but couldn't look her in the eye; his eyes went to their entwined hands. "I didn't do it, Blake, you have to believe me."