Chapter 4

September 5, 1998

Like most of the other five year olds she knew, Annabeth was starting kindergarten today. Unlike the other kindergarteners, Annabeth was not at all nervous. She had been waiting for this day ever since finding out what school was.

Annabeth marched to the front off the building with her father, wearing her new backpack and lunchbox set.

"Remember, Annabeth." her father lectured. "You don't tell anyone that your mother is Athena."

"I know." came the reply, as this was something Annabeth had heard many times before.

"And don't tell anyone you can write in Ancient Greek."

"I know." said Annabeth, rolling her eyes.

"Also-"

"It's okay, Dad." Annabeth interrupted. "I promise I know."

The rest of the walk was quiet, both of them thinking about the day to come.

When they finally reached Annabeth's classroom, Annabeth was shown to her cubby by her teacher, Miss Jane, who was full of smiles.

"Are you excited?" she asked the little blonde haired girl, who nodded happily.

"I'll get to learn about architecture, and numbers, and Ancient Greece!"

Miss Jane's smile wavered.

"Not yet, dear." she said. "But we will learn our numbers. Did your mother and father teach you your alphabet yet?"

Annabeth opened her mouth to reply something which contained. "My mother is Athena." Frederick clapped his hand over his daughter's mouth and steered her into the hallway.

"Annabeth." he hissed. "No talking about your mother, okay?"

"Fine." said Annabeth. "But she asked?"

Just then, Miss Jane poked her head into the hallway.

"Everything all right?" she called.

"Everything's fine." said Frederick. "I just had to remind Annabeth of something."

When it was time to go, Frederick hugged Annabeth one last time.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" he questioned. "You don't need me to stay or anything? Do you have my phone number in case there's an emergency?"

Annabeth nodded. "I'll be fine. I promise. But I think the question is if you're okay."

Frederick walked out of the school into the chilly September air, to meet Helen at a coffee shop. He had first run into her at the grocery store, which led to them talking, which led to him meeting her for coffee. He had discovered that she liked history.

Frederick walked into the coffee shop, spotting Helen at one of the tables. He ordered coffee and sat down with her.

"How was Annabeth's first day of preschool?" she asked.

"Kindergarten." he corrected. "But I think she enjoys it."

"Well, that's good."

Frederick's mouth suddenly went dry, remembering what he was planning to ask.

"Helen," he choked out, his face turning red. "Will you have dinner with me tonight?"