Chapter Fourteen - Bróðir

Author's Note: Hey there, cutie! Yes, YOU! I just feel like I have to flatter everyone and compliment them so they won't get mad at me when updates take me like three trillion years because my life is just literal chaos 24/7. Last night was a long night and let's just all be glad I survived to keep on writing. Anyway, I ended up being surprisingly fond of this chapter because I didn't quite know where I wanted to take it and there's some really nice Thor and Val bonding which I don't think we get enough of. SO NOW WE CAN HAVE SOME. Anyway, as a quick refresher, Thor and Val are bound for a little adventure of Midgard and well, you shall see what is to come! Don't forget to comment and love me, or berate me, whichsoever you choose. All my love!

...............................

...............................

Chapter Fourteen - Bróðir, or Brother

Thor and I land soundly on the roof of Stark Tower, deposited safely by the Bifrost and by Heimdall. I offer a wave in the general direction of where I assume Asgard might be, thanking him silently for a trip that did not make me want to vomit. Hallelujah. I look around for just a moment, taking in the New York City skyline, before I turn around to Stark Tower and catch sight of him.

"Honey, I'm hooooome!" I sing as Tony Stark stares out the window at the pair of us. His mouth drops open and he comes barreling out onto the roof in just his pajama pants, despite the absolutely frigid wind up here. I run at him and meet him halfway, as he picks me up and twirls me around before placing me back on my feet. 

"Man of Iron!" Thor calls out happily. Somehow, despite the grey cloud that has been hanging over both Thor and myself, Tony Stark has an overwhelming ability to brighten our sullied lives. 

Thor and Tony embrace, Thor nearly flattening Tony completely. After he catches his breath, Tony takes my face in his hands and smiles tenderly at me. "How the hell are you, kiddo?"

Thor and I exchange a glance. I shrug. “Where do I begin? Well, Loki and I got married."

"Holy shit."

"Aaaand I'm pregnant."

"Kid, what the fu-"

"And Loki is dead."

Tony stops. "I don't...I thought you guys were supposed to be immortal?"

"Immortality is not all it's cracked up to be," I comment sullenly despite the look from Thor. "Even immortality, it would seem, is not infallible." 

"Jesus, kid," he exhales as he pulls me into another hug. I inhale the very scent of him, taking it as a comfort as I squeeze him tightly. “I can’t tell you how happy I am to see you, Val. I do wish it was under better circumstances, I mean. I really am sorry.”

“I appreciate that. Thank you,” I say sincerely, looking him in the eye. His eyes are so gentle for a man with such an incomparable ability to be crass and inconsiderate. That said, there is an uncannily wonderful humanity to him.

He puts his arm around my shoulder, and in true Tony fashion, beams a smile at me. “So, obviously you’re going to name the baby Tony, right? Regardless of gender, because, I mean, gender is irrelevant these days anyway!”

I can’t help but laugh. I look to Thor, who is smiling, though I am sure he is a bit confused. “Are you glad we came now, Thor?” I ask. He was hesitant to leave Asgard, though I knew he was delighted by the prospect of seeing his earthly friends again. He does love them all in his true Thor fashion, unconditionally and loyally. It was harder to pry him away from Jane and Asgard, of course. His sense of duty remains one of his strongest traits as well as his faults. Of course, when I assured him that it would only be for a day’s time, and that I really needed this excursion more than anything, that sort of convinced him. And I think Jane was relieved to have some time to herself, for Thor has been more unnecessarily worried about Jane than ever. It was enough when she failed her test, but since Loki’s untimely passing, he has been clinging to her like he would blink and merely lose her. I understand the sentiment, but Jane seemed happy to have a few hours to herself to breathe.