6 || I've Read Enough Teen Fiction To Know How This Ends

Remember to check out Tides/Something Real!

Sorry guys! Looks like Tides won this battle 😕 but not to worry - once SR finishes up, this book will receive regular updates as well!

________________

© 2017 Shay Spencer. All rights reserved.

I Liked You Better On YouTube

6 || I've Read Enough Teen Fiction To Know How This Ends

____________________________

Patrick Neili
Subscribers - Four million, nine hundred thousand, six hundred and thirty-three.

...

"I don't believe you two are a real couple for one second," Hanna mocked as she pulled her backstage pass over her head. "And your couple name sucks, by the way. You two practically have the same name. Patalie? Natrick? What the fuck is that?"

"Let it go, Han," I laughed. She'd gotten quite the attention since we'd landed in Austin this morning. Not only had she been wearing a fur winter coat when we'd gotten off the plane, but her obnoxious voice and attitude had won the eyes of hundreds as we'd walked around the fair grounds.

It'd been an experience to say the least.

"No," she spat back in disgust. "Even that Rich guy doesn't look like he's buying it. He kept telling you two to get closer and to take more pictures, or to laugh at each other's jokes more. What is up with that guy, anyway?"

"Rich is Patrick's manager," I explained once more. "Our relationship is good for publicity."

"That's what it is!" Hanna gasped, the girl slapping my arm as the answer came rushing over her. "You're only dating him-"

"Because I like him?" I interrupted her, giving her a knowing look. "Patrick is an amazing guy, Hanna. I don't know what you're talking about."

At least she finally figured it out. I thought it'd take her longer than that. But keeping the secret from her had been silently killing me, and with her knowing, it would be much easier to keep my sanity now.

"Why the hell would you agree to this?" Hanna hushed as she pulled me in closer, tossing an arm around my shoulder. "I know you, Nat, and you're not like this."

"He-" I paused, not knowing how to explain myself. Anytime I thought about that stupid contract that I left behind in my apartment, I felt sick to my stomach. It made little to no sense to me as to why I'd agreed to this, so how was I supposed to explain it to Hanna?

"If you say he made you an offer you couldn't refuse, I might throw up on you."

"It wasn't that," I bit my lip to keep from laughing. "He promised to help me make it as a journalist, and honestly, the exposure could be good for my career."

"It's even better for his," Hanna mumbled under her breath. I sent her a glare, "what? It is! Patrick is milking this thing with you for all it's worth, and you know it!"

"You think I haven't noticed?" I shot back. "His career was falling into oblivion before I came along, but to be fair, so was mine. I was never going to be anything if I stayed where I was. I want to be a notable source, Han, and if it means putting up with an asshole like him for a few months, it'll be worth it."

Hanna huffed out a breathe in aggravation before dropping her arm from around me. She strode up the few steps to the stage, flashing her backstage pass before waiting for me to do the same.

When we finally got passed security, Rich was giving Patrick a pep-talk. The nervous look on Patrick's face made it hard for me to keep a straight face of my own. He looked like he'd never done anything like this before.

But then again, maybe he hadn't. He had been making videos out of his bedroom for the majority of his career. A big crowd like this could be something to shy away from.

"Just promise me one thing," Hanna whispered. "Don't fall for him. I've read enough teen fiction to know exactly how this all plays out."

"You mean fanfiction," I corrected. "But don't worry. There's no way in hell I'd ever fall for Patrick Neili."

The man in question glanced back at me before walking out on stage. Quickly, he sent me a wink, one that was over before I had time to register exactly how that small action made me feel.

I had been a fan of his up until a few days ago, anyways. This should have been my dream come true.

Damn that stupid coffee place back home. I was now considering that day to be the worst day of my life.

Patrick came to life the second he got on stage. It was as if his nerves never existed, and when he took hold of that microphone, he had a smile on his face that I had only ever seen on camera.

This was the Patrick I had respected for so long.

"What's up Austin!" He cheered, throwing his fist up in the air playfully. "It's an honor to be here at the state fair!"

The entire crowd roared in approval of the infamous YouTuber.

"Before I start, I want to not only dedicate this performance to my fans, but to the girl that has changed my life in a matter of days." Patrick stopped for only a second before looking back to me, "Natalie?"

Rich came rushing over to me, grabbing my upper arm roughly when he did. "Get out there," he urged, pushing me forward.

I stumbled out on stage, managing to steady myself just before I fell on top of Patrick.

He reached out, pulling me into him before placing a chaste kiss to my lips. He was sweaty and gross from the dry heat around us, but the short kiss was still great.

His eyes held this new fire to them as I hesitantly pulled away and raced backstage to the comfort of Hanna and Rich.

Without another word, Patrick began singing the very song that I had been listening to days ago in the coffee shop. It was almost like fate had intentionally drawn us towards one another.

"That kiss could have used some more tongue," Rich scolded. "The fans need to understand how badly you want to be together."

"They can barely see what shirt she's wearing from where they're standing, buddy," Hanna came to my defense. "The kiss was fine."

Rich held up his hands, backing down just as Hanna was getting going. "Calm down, missy. I'm just here to help."

Hanna narrowed her eyes in on him, "so am I. So back off before I-"

"Hanna," I interrupted, stepping in between the two. "Want to get something to drink?"

Hanna reluctantly nodded, "yeah. I could use something to wash all this bullshit down with."

The look on Rich's face was priceless.

____________________________

How did everyone like it? Leave a comment and tell me what you think! I'd love to hear everyone's opinions!

But keep reading! There's another chapter up now!

~Shay📽📸