Day 1: Meeting With Dad

Hazel told her mother that she wanted to talk to Flo. Sally nodded and left her alone. "Who are you wanting for?" Flo asked. "My father" Hazel said and Flo nodded and gave her stuff.

"Thanks" the fifteen-year-old drank her orange juice and ate her salad. Her eyes watched as a man wearing a jacket with the number 95 on it walk in.

"Good afternoon, Lightning" Flo greeted with a smile. "Hey Flo. Can I have iced tea and a small sandwich?" The man named Lightning ordered. Hazel stopped eating and was shocked.
"Dad!" She ran up to the man and hugged him. Flo smiled at the father and daughter. "Hazel" Lightning held her daughter close to him and felt her shaking, along with tears. "What's wrong?" He asked.

"Dad. Mom got remarried to a man named Scott" Hazel told her father, who looked heartbroken. "Scott abuses me" she added, bursting into tears as her father hugs her. "Flo, get Sheriff. He needs to know this before it gets too late" Lightning said and Flo nodded, picking up the phone and dialing the number.

"Sheriff, get down here" she said and hang up. "He's coming" she told the two. "Thanks" Lightning said, hugging his crying daughter closer. Sheriff walked in with Doc behind him. "Hey Hazel. What happened?" He asked and Hazel told him all about Scott, including what he looks like.

"Thank you. I'll be on the look out" Sheriff left. "Let me see" Doc said and checked out Hazel's bruises. He walked to his clinic as Lightning and Hazel followed. "My little Hazelnut. Why didn't you say something?" He asked.

Hazel looked down to avoid her father's gaze in shame. "Dad, I'm sorry" she said and her father hugs her. "I'm not going to let that man hurt you. Why don't you live with me?" Hazel smiled and nodded at her father's suggestion.

"You're lucky he didn't do anything deep" Doc said as he puts her left arm in cast and sling. She got up and thanked Doc as she left with her father back to Flo's, seeing the sandwich and iced tea at Hazel's table. They decided to share the sandwich.

Lightning ate half of his sandwich and drank his iced tea. Hazel ate the rest with a smile. "Dad, do you still love Mom?" She asked.  "Yes, I do" Lightning said. Hazel sighed sadly and played with her necklace her mother got her.

Suddenly, Hazel's phone rang. She looked at her father who nodded and she answered. "Mom?" "Baby, I was so worried! I called you and texted you but you did not answer or reply!" Sally sounded very panicked. Hazel looked her dad, who was staring at the ground.

"I just needed to talk with Flo and go to Doc" she said. "Come home right now!" Sally growled in the phone and Hazel looked down. "I understand, Mom" she hang up and cried.

'I can't let my pumpkin go back there' Lighting thought.