Chapter 1

Present day...

Aline hummed a familiar tune as she cleaned the floor. Another day, another mess. She cleaned the oatmeal off the carpet as a cigarette hit her head. It was flicked by her poor excuse of a mother.

"Make me another bowl." she commanded. Aline sighed as she got off her knees and went to put the dish in the sink.

I'm getting out of here sometime, She told herself as she decided she wouldn't make her ungrateful guardian another bowl.

"Hurry up!" she jumped as she heard the yell from the other room. I gotta get out of here. She reminded herself. This was not the life she wanted to live. She stood as she tried to muster up the courage. She took a step towards the room, only to cry out and find the floor instead. You looked down at the glass bottle on the floor.

Dammit.

Her ankle wasn't sprained or broken. She'd be fine. She got up and decided to face her fears. She's gone tonight. She went to her room instead as she hear groans of impatience from the other room. She grabbed her bag and filled it with what she thought she needed. A book, a phone, and some money. The window of the room was open and she noticed small movement outside in the dark woods through the corner of her eye. Aline shot a look out the window. It stopped, whatever it was. She went towards the window. She couldn't see it anymore. She raised a brow. Other than the old jet-that was speculated to have left by the neighbors-there wasn't anything there.

Once she crept to the front door she heard a slam of glass on wood.

"Where the fu-" she was cut off, Aline had already ran out before her mother could have finished. Aline felt tears well up in her eyes as she ran into the woods behind the house. She hid behind the jet. Noises of a slammed door and footsteps could be heard. Her mother wouldn't be able to see her in the woods. Not at this time at night. Aline closed her eyes.

"She'll come back." her mother shook her head as she stumbled back to the house. "She always does..."

Once the door slammed, Aline fell down the side of the metal, and hit the ground. She shook as she wept into her knees. She let out a few shaky breaths as she felt her arm be pulled up.

"God, how dense are you?" it was her mother, who was lost in a drunk rage. Her mother had faked slamming the door and had waited for Aline to move or make a noise! She pulled her hand back to strike and Aline closed her eyes waiting for a blow.