Chapter 24: If Only It Was Always Christmas

Tuesday, December 25, 1979, Minneapolis, MN

So apparently, it just slipped out of WB's mind that Prince had a break from December fourth to February eighth. I don't understand how you can forget that but hey, I'm not complaining. After eight days of touring, he came back to MPLS and said he will be here for the next two months or so. But that was then and this is today and today is not about touring, it's about getting and giving gifts and love.

Later today, we are all (all being Angela, Kenya, Morris, Andre, Prince and I) meeting up at Prince's house to eat some good takeout food and talk about Christmas like things. The catch is that whoever comes has to bring a gift for their assigned person. I thought that Prince would want to invite Denise but she is in Canada at the moment.

Oh! How could I possibly forget. I am shunned by almost all jazz critics out there because my new album, Pizazz, is apparently "not jazzy enough". I get that it is a more of an R&B album than jazz but there are some jazz songs on it. I didn't want to get drawn into it so I just ignored their comments. Besides, the album debuted at number two on the jazz charts and number 11 on the soul charts. Also, Haven't You Heard, reached number seven on the US R&B charts and number five on the US Dance charts. I am overjoyed. I can't express my happiness with the reception of this record. There is also a pretty good cash flow but it isn't anything too crazy. Right now my life is on a good track and my focus is music.

As for Prince, I'm going to see him in a little bit. He is recording his first music video. He started recording yesterday but I couldn't be there because I had a meeting with the team over at Elektra and then I had a doctors appointment. Today is the last day of his video recording and he wanted me there but asked without any reasoning. I said sure because, I mean, why not? That's what's going on right about now. He is driving us to his video shoot. He shot two scenes yesterday and he plans on finishing it all today. "Why are you so quiet over there?" Prince asks, drawing my attention from the other moving cars to only him.

"Huh?" I confusedly ask.

"What? Cats got your tongue? You ok over there?" Prince questions with a chuckle, referring to my noticeable silence.

"Yeah. I'm just thinking about life and how great everything is going. For you, me, people." I answer honestly.

Prince nods in understanding. "So are you excited?" I ask him, referring to his first music video.

"Not really. I can't stand lip syncing. We are here, by the way." He says while pulling into the parking lot of the empty club. We walk in and say hi to everyone that's there. The director, the producer, the directors assistant, the hair stylist, the makeup artist.

"It's good to see you again, Prince. It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Rushen. Prince, I need you back stage to get ready because we start recording in an hour and a half." The director named Dave says, guiding the two girls standing behind him forward. "This is the hairstylist, Kim and the makeup artist, Kate. These two lovely twins will help you get ready for the video, once again." He continues.

Prince shoots him two thumbs up and heads to the dressing with his hand in mine. Prince opens the door letting, Kim, Kate, Me, and himself inside in that order. Ever since I met Prince, he has been a gentleman. I hope he doesn't change. "Please sit down in this chair so I can get started on your hair." Kim quietly asks.

Prince does as told and I sit next Kate on the couch. She sparks up some small talk. "Hi. I really like your braids. I used to wear braids like this without the beads before Kate gave me the buzz cut. Is it all yours?" She asks leaning on her hand.

"Yeah. I have been growing it out since I was about 15." I simply say as I lean back on the couch.

"Wow. I should do that again. You have officially inspired me." Kate says with a chuckle while combing out her ear length cut.