Chapter 4

Both lovers had been lying together for quite a while kissing and caressing one another before finding the strength to get up again. Shadow curled his arms around Sonic's body as he rested on top of him, grinning in satisfaction. Sonic pushed himself up, almost unwillingly, and strolled back into the kitchen to grab his shoes. Shadow stretched out on the bench, letting out a long sigh before getting up as well. He followed Sonic in and watched silently as he slipped back on his shoes.

'You look a little tired.' Sonic grinned as he looked up from his current task. Shadow stood there quietly with a smirk on his face, and opened his mouth to speak but was quickly interrupted by the boisterous echidna who had suddenly barged into the place. 'Hey, guys!' Knuckles said, 'How long can it take to wash dishes? Hurry up, you said we'd be going on a trail hike today. Tails is just itching to get going.'

Shadow picked up the chair lying on the floor and set it back with the table, thankful they had already finished when the annoying echidna arrived. He mumbled under his breath, thinking a trail hike would be a waste of time. Then again, he thought this trip would be as well. Sonic stretched out and decided to leave the dishes for later, since most of them had been cleaned already. 'Alright, let's go then! Don't want to disappoint him!'

Within a few seconds of high speed racing, the three arrived back at the camp and regrouped with the others. Tails seemed to be the most excited out of everyone. 'Sonic! You'll try to slow down for the rest of us, wont you?' he said playfully. Sonic agreed to with a wide smile, hardly noticing that the rest of the group had started walking off into the brush. 'Wait up, guys!' Tails cried out as he ran in their direction.

Before anyone had time to complain about hiking in the wilderness, they had already begun the journey and were quite far from camp. The wonderful sights and sounds of the area quickly ended any doubt of how interesting this would be. Besides, it was nice to talk with everyone there. To crack some jokes or pick on each other about almost anything. Well, except for Knuckles. He took everything way to seriously.

Cream was looking happy as always, prancing alongside Shadow and clinging to his arm with a wide, childish smile on her face. Shadow smiled awkwardly and allowed her to continue, asking her how she had been doing so far, and the like. She answered him politely in a very singsong tone, obviously enjoying the company of the dark hedgehog. Meanwhile, Tails was zipping around in the air looking through a pair of binoculars, searching for something interesting to explore. 'If you find anything, make sure to say something little buddy!' Sonic yelled up to him.

One wouldn't expect Rouge to have been one for this kind of entertainment, but it seems as though she'd become used to being out in the elements. In fact, she was the only one who had brought specific clothing for the event. It was good news for her, in any case. Everyone knew it would have been impossible for her to do anything out here wearing her usual knee-high boots.

There was plenty to see out there. Most of the time, the whole lot of them were far too busy evading enemies to enjoy their surroundings. Sonic had a hard time remembering anything about the places he had been. Going through every region at the speed of sound, or near too it, can't really leave you much time to remember much more than a blur going by. Not that it mattered to him much. He was enjoying the nice change of pace. Along with the occasional lusty smirk from Shadow. Hopefully no one but himself was noticing.

***

Later that day, they returned back to where they had come. Sonic was sent back to do finish his job, for which he had gotten a rough hit to the back of his head for not having done it sooner. He left reluctantly to do his job, and Shadow stayed behind for a moment. Something, was tugging and screaming for attention in the back of his mind, although up to this point he chose not to mention what. Shadow just pushed the thought from his mind momentarily and snuck away to catch up with the azure hedgehog.

Sonic must have been taking his time going up there, buying as much time as he could before having to do dish work again, because when Shadow had caught up to him he was a little more than halfway to his destination. Sonic's ears bent backwards as he heard the approaching footsteps before his body reacted to it and turned around as well. There he was as always with a sly, almost secretive smile on his face, staring back into his emerald eyes. 'Hey Sonic... I was thinking about something along that trail hike.' he said, 'Where's the pink hedgehog, anyway?'

'Oh man!' Sonic groaned, 'Why did you have to remind me?' Shadow smirked at his reaction, not really sure what he meant by that comment. 'Amy was helping Cream's mom early morning before the trip with whatever, and she stayed behind. But... they should be over here tomorrow, maybe even tonight.' Sonic didn't seem very pleased at all and Shadow knew exactly why, too. The girl would be all over him throughout the rest of the vacation once she showed up.

'I suppose that means no more time alone.' Shadow grinned. Not that it really mattered much to him. The first two interludes could have gotten them caught. At the moment though, it didn't seem like Sonic felt the same way.

'Oh...' he said, sounding disappointed. 'You're right though... someone might see. Anyway... I gotta go get those dishes. I'll see you back over there.' Shadow nodded and turned back, quickly returning just in time to catch yet another bickering match between Rouge and Knuckles.

'I swear I didn't touch your lotion!'

Srry this chapter is short i'm working on another sonadow story. Anyway i'll update another chapter soon!!