Heartkeeper (by blueberry on saulaheaven)

"Finally," Kathrin groaned when Simon entered the living room.

"Nice evening to you too," Simon chuckled.

"Nice evening?! Nice evening?! Uh," Kathrin yelped angrily and jumped out of the couch.

"Were kids good?" Simon asked in anticipation of never ending yelling.

"You must be kidding me!" Kathrin gasped, "Your daughter is a little devil!"

"Amy?" Simon doubted.

"Do you have any other daughter?!"

"What happened? Where is she?" Simon asked.

"Ask her... If she let you in her room, because the doors are locked. She's really unbelievable," Kathrin seethed.

"Kathrin, calm down. I know Amy is kind of wilder sometimes, but she's just a kid," Simon said patiently, but already tired.

"Kind of wilder? Uh? Simon, don't fool yourself. There definitely has to be a reason why fifteen nannies quit their jobs here! And many babysitters don't wanna hear about your house anymore! And in only one year! She needs a stricter raising or a psychiatrist. Think of it!" she spilled out angrily.

"My daughter isn't a nutter! Are you really sending a six years old child to the psychiatrist? Maybe you need one!" Simon shouted.

"Fine! I would have definitely need one if I had spent more time with watching over your kids, so don't call me again, Simon!" she yelled while gathering her things.

"Don't worry about that!" Simon groaned angrily.

"She's just like you!" Kathrin added finally and then left the house.

"Well she's mine!" Simon groaned and sat down on the couch with a heavy sigh.

Simon knew that Kathrin wasn't that far from the reality. There were really fifteen nannies who quit their jobs after few weeks. He knew that Amy wasn't easy to handle. But she was just a child. His child and she could be so sweet as well. Simon didn't know what to do. But a psychiatrist wasn't an option for sure.

Simon was a successful lawyer. He left London and came to America to study a law when he was young. He finished the Harward University as the best student in his year and he could choose of many job offers. Simon chose the law firm in Los Angeles, because this firm had a long tradition - O'Melveny & Myers. And he wanted to see the other part of the United States as well.

Soon he began to be known as a really good lawyer. His career rose up quickly. He loved his job. He loved the power he had when he was standing on the court. He was known as a hard, uncompromising and emotionless shark and people began to be afraid of him. Truth to be said there definitely was a reason. People said that he was arrogant, cruel and rude. And it wasn't any far from the truth either.

As successful as Simon was in his professional life he was unsuccessful in his personal life. Two years after he had moved in Los Angeles and had begun his career he met Emily. Emily was early twenty and he was twenty six. They were dating for a while and then Emily got pregnant. It was absolutely unplanned and unwanted, but it happened. Simon decided to do the right thing and married her. It would have looked bad if he hadn't done that anyway. The image of him having a happy family seemed to be better than gossips about him sending money every month to his unwanted child. Emily moved in his large house and Amy was born soon.

They lived quite happily for few years. At least Simon thought that. But honestly, he wasn't at home most of the time. And later when he was at home Emily was blaming him for not to be at home; for leaving her alone; for him destroying her life. She blamed him that she couldn't have finished her studies; that she lost all of her friends; that she had no fun while staying at home with a baby all of the time. Simon knew that Emily wasn't happy, but he didn't know what to do. So he did the only thing he knew - work. And then Emily got pregnant again.