The Invitation

Thursday

As Patric Hemingway stepped off the helicopter he was nervous. Since joining the ranks of the military twenty years ago, this was the first time he had been back. Being left an orphan at the age of two, bouncing around from one abusive foster home to the next, he realized his life had to change. The moment he turned eighteen, he enlisted and never looked back that was until he had gotten his new assignment.

"Admiral Hemingway welcome to Baton Rouge and Fort Ridgeman. I'm Captain William Hollman, it's an honor sir." They saluted each other and shook hands.

"We have your accommodations ready along with everything you may need. I received orders to have staff and personnel meet in the auditorium tomorrow at oh six hundred hours for introductions."

"Thank you Captain."

"Right this way Admiral. I'm sure you want to get settled in."

Patric followed behind holding on to his black leather briefcase and duffle bag. The captain led them to a house that was off a little distance from the barracks and the rest of the base. It was nice but way more than what he needed.

"Admiral I hope you approve. Three thousand square feet, four bedrooms, three baths, living, dining, bar area, a study and a wave pool. Our last Admiral was a swimmer so it was added for stress relief. All the comforts of a home."

"It's very nice and large although I don't need all this space."

"Glad you approve sir. We were worried."

"No need to fret over me. I'm simple. I'm not extravagant by any means. What you see is what you get."

"May I ask a personal question, no disrespect intended?"

"Go ahead."

"I have admired you for some time but I've wanted to ask, how did you get to Admiral so fast? It normally takes a lifetime to get to this level but you're one of the youngest?"

Patric sat his hat on the table and put his briefcase on the sofa. He smiled taking a seat and signaled for the captain to do the same.

"I must look younger than I look?"

"You look more like a fashion model than an Admiral, no disrespect."

Patric laughed. It wasn't the first time someone thought that. His dark brown hair, green eyes and dimples were the first thing people noticed. He stood a little over six feet with a muscular build. He was a no nonsense kind of guy but wasn't known as a prick, like many of his counterparts.

"None taken." He chuckled. "I've done five tours, educated myself on military history, strategies and worked hard. I also had a good mentor who has guided me since day one."

"Well hopefully I will make it to your level one day sir."

"I wish you all the best."

"Thank you sir. There are some here that think you may not be right for the job."

"Don't let the boyish looks fool you. I am fully capable of running this base, training soldiers to become the driving force of this democracy and constitute fairness to each solider and civilian on my watch. Don't take me as weak as I do hold the power and I report directly to the Joint Chiefs of Staff."

"I am aware sir, but..."

"Either they will fall in line or they won't be on my base." He had handled hotheads before so he wasn't worried.

"Well sir if you need anything you have my cell and I'm in the barracks to the left. I will let you settle in and come and escort you to your office at oh five hundred hours."

"Thank you Captain, good night." He watched as the officer got up and left. Taking a deep breath, Patric just sat there staring at the black screen of the television. Flashbacks of his life played like an ongoing horror movie.

Looking down at his wrist, was a charm bracelet given to him by someone twenty years ago. A school had adopted his unit and somehow an envelope with his name on it had the bracelet inside. He later learned that each charm had special meanings in the Old Norse language. They consisted of courage, protection, passion, honor, loyalty, and strength. He wore it as his cloak of protection and he believed it had kept him focused all these years.

There was a knock on the door taking him out of his thoughts. He walked over and opened it.

"Sorry to bother you Admiral, this was just delivered for you."

Looking down at Private Holt's hand was a black envelope with silver writing on it along with a large box. He thanked him and watched as the young male nearly ran down the street to get away.

Patric opened the envelope and it was an invitation to the Governor's Annual Memorial Day Charity Masquerade Party happening on Saturday. Inside the invitation was a note.

Hope to see you there, no excuses

Details to follow.

That was weird, he knew nothing about this as it wasn't on his calendar. Taking a seat, he opened the box to discover a black mask trimmed in embroidery and dark glittery swirls along with a silk black cape. As he pulled it out, there was another card with purple trim with:

"Hope you like, can't wait to see you Saturday night in all your splendor."

He was confused. He didn't have any friends when he lived here or a girlfriend. He was curious to figure out the meaning of the last part. Searching the envelope there wasn't any contact information. He read the handwritten part again and still no one came to mind.

Was this a setup of some kind? Every crazy scenario crossed his mind. He sat the invitation down but kept finding himself going back to the card. It had been a long day but somehow in his mind he had a feeling this invitation would haunt him until Saturday.