Chapter 2

"Come on Lyra!" Chris shouted, trying to juggle our carry-on bags, "The plane is boarding!" I snickered at him under my breath and followed him into the terminal. The airport was a huge place and so confusing. I was grateful Chris came along with me. I never would have been able to navigate this place on my own.

We entered behind a line of people all waiting eagerly to get to their seats. A lady checked us over and scanned our tickets. She gave me a pitying look. I knew I looked malnourished, because I was, but the look she was giving me only ignited my constantly pissy mood.

"Third row back, window seat and the middle seat." She said, her eyes still lingering. I clenched my fist slightly. Why was she staring at me? Was it because of how I looked? My scars? My weight?

"Come on Lyra." Chris said again, pulling my attention back to him. We continued through a rickety, metal tunnel and entered the airplane. It was cramped, but still fairly large. Chris put our carry-ons above our seats and gave me the spot next to the window. He knew I loved to watch the clouds and the ground as we flew. The Carters had lived in Arizona, so Chris had moved me by plane then. This trip was going to be a lot longer, and the fact that I wouldn't have Chris so close by, ready to help, scared the shit out of me. But I didn't really have much say about where I ended up. I never did.

A slight worrying thought slicked through my mind for Breezy, being stuck in his cage in the storage for bags. Surely, he would just sleep most of the way, right? He was really lazy and Chris had given him a Benedryl to relax him.

A skinny woman was in the seat next to us with a small toddler. She was trying to calm the baby down because the little girl was upset about being on here. I reached into my pocket and gave the little girl a strip of gum. I always got gum for a plane ride. I explained to the woman that it would help with her ears popping and it would keep her occupied.

"Thank you." She said, giving me an exhausted smile. I smiled shyly back, blushing out of habit. Chris gave me a smirk and I hit him on the shoulder.

"What?"

"Nothing." He said, grinning again. I huffed and looked out the window. It was an almost cloudless day today, the desert sand glistening in the sun fading into the perfect view of the Pacific ocean. Every now and then, I could spot a lone cactus or the crashing of waves against the shore. I knew to my left, out those windows, would be the bustling city of San Francisco. But my view was prettier – at least, in my opinion. I watched a tumble weed make its way across the barren land, over the airplane's landing strip, and into the horizon. I knew the flight attendants were going through the safety procedures, but I paid them no mind. Just then, the pilot's voice came over the intercom.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your pilot speaking. We will be ready for takeoff in just a few moments. So would you all do me the favor of putting on your seat belts and remaining out of the aisles? Once we are in the air, you are free to move along as you wish. Thank you. Enjoy your flight to New York City!"

Click.

Dead silence.

My nerves shot up, a smile spread across my face. I loved the takeoff. I waited earnestly.

Then, the engines started.

It was a deep hum that vibrated your bones. You could see the engines catching power with each swipe of the blades. The plane rumbled and my excitement sparked. Now we were backing out of the loading area. People were directing us where to go. We turned, faced east, and we began to pick up speed. Slowly, we were lifted off the ground. I could see everything getting smaller and smaller beneath me. It was like I was away from all my worries and troubles. I loved it. We went higher, floating in the sky. I was practically bouncing in my seat.