Matched

this whole book is dedicated to Golden. not just for making the coolest cover, but also for being my best friend on this website, and being such a lovely person. her stories are the bomb and hands down one of the best I've read. thank you also for inspiring me to have courage and write my own werewolf story. this is for you mahomie :')

Whale hello! This is the first part or intro of Matched, the first ever werewolf story I have ever written. So don't get too surprised if it's kinda crappy because I have never done this. Ever. In my life.

You get the point.

I will try my hardest to not make it so cliché. My goal is to keep it unique and original. So if my story doesn't live up to your expectations then I'm sorry.

So here you go!

++++

I smoothed out the unwanted creases on my baby blue dress, which my mother said accentuated my similar blue eyes. I was seated in front of my mother's vanity, getting ready for one of the days I dreaded the most. Today was the day of the 39th Matching Ceremony, held every year in town square. Each year, every eligible bachelorette of 17 had to put their name in the Pair Cup, which is where the 20 chosen men from the different clans would pick a name of the 'lucky girl' who would be their bride-to-be. And this year happened to be the year I turned 17.

Oh joy.

Mother said I had to look my best for today, and that I should be excited because I would be given the opportunity to be chosen-or matched as she and the rest of the people liked to call it. Right now she was working on my hair, trying her very best to make sure not a single lock of my light brown hair was out of place.

"Are you excited?" She asked, pulling a stray strand of hair from my face. Mother was putting my hair into a simple braided up do, the last time she did this was last year, when my older sister Fern participated in the Matching Ceremony. Though she wasn't chosen she was now happily married to the son of the blacksmith. I heard news about her being pregnant, but that's a story for another time.

"I don't know." I admitted. "Am I supposed to be?" I didn't really think of getting engaged at 17, that's probably because I have never had a proper relationship with a boy other than my father and my two older brothers, I have never even kissed a boy. Basically I was not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it came to the opposite gender.

"Yes!" she exclaimed rather quickly. "As your mother I believe it is time you got out there to meet boys! You have always been the shy type Daisy, it's time for you to bloom and start your life." Well this was new. She has never said that to any of her children, or me rather.

"You know, as your youngest daughter I had expected you to not want me to leave." I said. "Isn't it what normal parents think? That their youngest child is their 'baby' and that they should stay with the family forever?"

"Are you stating we're not normal? Is that what you're trying to say?" She asked, feigning being offended, which made me giggle in my seat. I always appreciated my mother's sense of playfulness and humor, she was the cool mom.

"Yes you are not normal, but hey since I'm your daughter, aren't I not normal too?" I countered playfully. She giggled and shook her head, pinning the end of my hair with a bobby pin. Afterwards, she turned around and made way to my dresser, probably looking for decent accessories for me to wear. Which was sort of a problem because I don't own decent jewelry, unless you consider my plain ring earrings, and a rope anklet something you would wear to a special occasion.

"Ah here we are!" She said, bringing out an old-looking box. It was a velvety red, with some gold flourishes on the top that looked like it was handwritten. She handed the unfamiliar box to me, waiting in her seat. She wanted me to open it myself, I said to my subconscious.