Chapter One

Recap:

"As most of you know, there have been rumors about this mystery girl who has already been claimed by the head leader. And I am here to put those words to rest. Though it has rarely been done before, I would have to say that those are true."

A few more gasps came from the crowd before the mayor cleared his throat. "And the young lady is.."

Kill me now.

"..Miss Daisy Evergreen."

Fuck.

~~~~~

Chapter One:

I sometimes wonder why people like being in the center of attention so much. They say it's because when people pay more attention to them, they pay attention to their needs as well. They call it a 'Celebrity Moment'. I for one don't like it when I'm the center of attention, because one, they'll keep asking me questions, and I hate answering questions. And two, I have huge stage fright, and when I mean huge I'm talking about the faint-in-front-of-crowd kind. And it's not pretty. So I tend to just stay in the sidelines and be quiet; it seemed to work for me all my life, and I intend to keep it that way.

But then why the hell am I standing up on the stage of the Matching Ceremony, next to one of the most mysterious-looking men on the planet, who claims me as his match?

Oh yeah, I have no idea.

When the mayor called my name, it felt like being given a steel box, full of bricks, to carry all the way up Mt. Everest. Because the weight of the never ending stares the townspeople were giving me, made me wanna sink into the ground. I tried not to turn my head and look back at the crowd, because I felt like I would just collapse in front everyone if I saw another pair of eyes.

I couldn't move. Not even a muscle because I was shocked beyond belief. One of the guards even had to escort me up the stage, because I still wouldn't go up the stage to meet my 'match'. I didn't even look at his face, because my head was hung low, hoping the stray strands of my hair would cover my field of vision.

The sound of my feet and the guard's feet moving towards the stage was the only thing I could hear. The silence was killing me and I wish everyone would just look away or continue their hushed conversations as if this never happened. When I got on the stage, the mayor said the closing words.

"Well, now that the last clan leader has met his match, I can finally say that this year's Matching Ceremony is now over!" There was a fair amount of applause and in a matter of milliseconds, clan leader Anderson immediately grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the backstage. I attempted to wiggle out of his tight grip, but it was of no use, he was too strong. We went through the blue curtains, passed the door towards outside and headed to a sleek, black SUV.

"P-please let go of me." I whimpered, with a voice soft and unsure. But he didn't stop walking, let go of my hand, which was definitely going to hurt later, nor turn to face me. He halted and stared at me for a moment with his dark facial expression, before I recoiled out of fear and just continued walking. We stopped in front of the car door and out of nowhere, he lifts me up, opens the door of the SUV and places me inside.

"Hey! Where are we going? Someone please tell me what's going on!" I yelled while hitting on the glass pane. I winced and looked down at my sore wrist, which had a red mark on it. He must have a really strong grip because my wrist was aching like never before.

I didn't know what to do, I didn't even know what was happening. One moment I was just sitting in my chair, waiting for the ceremony to end, the next moment I'm being brought to the stage and placed in the SUV.