Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

The door was swung open by Eli moments after our little field trip to Anderson's office. The first thing that came to my mind when I entered the room was that it was so dark. And huge. It was so dark I thought I went blind. His office was very spatial and roomy, I thought it was bigger than our rooms at home combined.

Okay, that was an exaggeration but you get what I mean.

I took a good glimpse of my surroundings. The only source of light came from the big window behind the oak desk in the middle of the room. It looked like your typical, everyday office. What I noticed as I looked around was that clan leader Anderson was nowhere in the office; or at least, nowhere in my sight since it was, like, really dark in here.

Before I could do anything else I felt two firm arms encircle my waist. I froze, not being able to register what was happening. And the fact that I almost couldn't see a thing made me sorta panic more. I did feel some shocks and tingles, but I completely ignored them and shut them out of my head, trying to focus on the current situation.

I dared not to make any other unnecessary movements, fearing the person holding me would get angry and do something else.

I sucked in a breath and mustered up the guts to slowly push away from the stranger. But I didn't get that far because the stranger, who I presumed to be male because of the strong grip, only held me tighter, causing the urge to breathe disappear completely.

He noticed my struggling to inhale and exhale and he let me go. When I was free of his grasp I couldn't think of other things to do so I sprinted towards the far corner of the huge room, not caring if I bump into anything. I thought that as long as I was far away from him as possible, I would be safe.

I quickly hid in between a cabinet and the wall, squeezing into the tight space albeit I was a little bit claustrophobic. I kept my mouth shut and did not make any unnecessary noise. I had to face my fear of tight spaces because this was plain insane.

I could tell I looked like a mess because when I ran away, the braid from the up do mom placed on me this morning, fell off, causing the rest of my hair to look like a rat's nest. And I was sweating, a lot. The salty liquid rolled down my forehead, to my chin, until it reached my neck.

I took deep breaths to calm myself down, while I fixed up my dress, which was already wrinkled. If mom were here she'd immediately scold me for making my outfit all messy. But she wasn't. Neither was dad, or Aspen, or Sage, or anybody.

I was on my own.

And I was most probably going to die.

I could tell was moving fast because I heard footsteps moving towards this part of the room, getting louder after each step was taken. The sounds of his feet pounding the floor mimicked the intense thumping of my heart.

I peeked through the cabinet to see that he was really close to where I was, so I squeezed myself back in the corner, and waited. Waited till he would give up looking here and go away. Making it easy for me to escape.

After moments of waiting, I assumed the coast was clear, meaning it was safe to get out.

I carefully released myself from the tight corner of the room, still keeping quiet just incase he would come back if he heard a sound. Once I was able to get out, I took one more glance around the room, and once the area was clear, I tiptoed out of there.

I thought of an escape route while waiting and decided to sneak out the window I saw when I first entered.

If I was careful enough, I would have a clean escape from this crazy man and be home free, so I quietly and gently pushed the window pane to the extent where I could fit and get out. The cold wind nipped at my skin, causing me to shiver, the loose strands of my hair dancing into the night.