The Only Faith {11}

It was dark out and Caleb had come barging into our room about twenty minutes ago to make sure we hadn't snuck out. Now, Fagan and I laid in the darkness, waiting to hear from Beckett.

                He and Tessa had disappeared together and only told us to wait for a signal. I was getting restless again, tossing and turning on my bed, too hyped up to be tired.

                "You're so fidgety," Fagan said in amusement, watching me as I rolled onto my back and brushed my hands through my hair.

                "Is he going to go through with it?" I said, more to myself.

                But Fagan answered me. "Of course he is. He loves pissing them off. He wouldn't blow the chance, especially not when we have an advantage."

                "Well he needs to hurry up," I said, rolling onto my side and playing with a string on my blanket.

                Fagan's phone lit up and he checked the message. "Your wish has been granted."

                The two of us got up, both dressed in dark clothes. I stuffed my bed quickly to make it look like I was sleeping in it before following Fagan to the door.

                He cracked it open and peeked out into the hallway before gesturing at me to follow him. We snuck out, locking our door and hurrying down to the stairwell.

                We made it outside, where Beckett and Tessa were waiting for us. We started off towards the library together.

                "How do you plan to break in? The library has a security code. If you don't know it, the alarm will go off," Fagan said, though he looked more excited than nervous at the thought.

                "We staked them out. Tessa's got it covered," Beckett said.

                We reached the library and Beckett gestured at us to wait. He circled the building before returning to us and nodding.

                "All clear," he said.

                We moved up the steps to the door, where there was indeed a security code needed. Tessa stepped forward and entered it without hesitation, the red light flickering to green.

                "Okay, great, but the doors are still locked," I said.

                Beckett pulled a set of keys out of his pocket. "Not anymore."

                "Stole them from your dad?" I guessed, remembering that his father was a teacher here.

                "He can be careless with his things," Beckett said, unlocking one of the doors and letting us all in.

                The library was dark and the layout was unfamiliar to me, so I had to just trust Beckett as he led us up a set of stairs to the right. We climbed up to the top floor of the library and Beckett took out his phone. It burst into light as he turned on the flashlight and cupped it in his hands to dull the brightness.

                My eyes adjusted and I looked around. The floor was fairly small, a door marked with "Employees Only" cutting it off. It had several desks lined up, each separated by a thin wall. A help desk was at the end of the room next to the door. There were two windows, both shut and locked.

                "What's the plan?" Fagan asked as we settled ourselves just outside of the room. Beckett had a backpack on his shoulders, which he started to slip off.