Chapter Fifteen - The Last Game

JACOB POV

   It's now Friday and tonight is the last game. Anna and I haven't spoken much since our conversation Monday which I didn't even get to finish because her friend Michael interrupted. I haven't seen them talk to each other in awhile I guess they had a fall out and are now mending things back together. I guess he know what happened between Anna and me Saturday too cause every time I try to talk to her he interrupts as if he's jealous,I know he doesn't like me much but damn he aint gotta be blocking. Not saying that I like Anna but if I did.......ya know. 

"Alright ladies !! this is the last game, we want to go out with a bang !!" coach shouted as he pumped up the team.

The team responded with equal excitement as they banged their fists against the lockers.

"Let's go,let's go,let's go," Issa shouted as everyone ran out the locker room.I rolled out behind them and headed to the sidelines. I looked up in the crowd and saw Anna sitting with Michael, what ever he was telling her she was crazy blushing.

She looked down and saw me looking at her and she smiled and waved. I did the same and soon the starting whistle blew. The other team wore orange and black while we were in blue and gold they looked cocky but we had played against them many times before and won. They were our rival team.

Three minutes into the game our rivals scored. 

-HALFTIME-

"Yah'll looking pretty good," I encouraged the team as they hydrated in the locker room.It was now half time and we were down by four points.

"We doing alright but their plays got better," August panted.

"That's cause they got a new coach," Josh; another player remarked.

"But yah'll aint doing half bad look the score is, 30-34 yah'll could still beat them so buck up ladies we got a game to win," coach said," Latimore you ready to play second half?" coach asked as he looked over at me.

"Nah,I-ithink,Imma sit out," I replied. I was nervous about having to go out on the court. I practiced with the guys but what if I go out there and isnt as good as I thought I was using my chair.What if I fail?

"Let me know when you ready," coached smiled understandingly.

Everyone got pumped up and headed back out on the court leaving Issa and I alone.

"Why'd you turn down the opportunity?" Issa asked.

"I don't think I'm ready," I sighed.

"Listen man,this is your last chance, if you don't take this opportunity you gonna be looking back wondering,WHAT IF," Issa said and with that he walked out.

Ten minutes left of the game; " Ouuuuuuu," the crowd erupted as August laid on the court clutching his knee.

"Ahhh," he cried in agony.

Medics rushed over to him and helped him limp off the court.

"You're gonna need a reserve to get on the court in 10 seconds," the ref said to coach.

Coach looked over on the sidelines where us reserves were sitting. Looking to each side of me and noticing that our two worst players sat next to me I sighed as I remembered what Issa told me earlier.

"I'll play," I heard myself say.

And within seconds I was rolling onto the court. "Go Jake,Go,Go<Go Jake," the cheerleaders cheered lead by Megan and Tori while Becca half-heartedly cheered. I ignored her and looked up in the crowd. 'You could do it," Anna mouthed to me.