Chapter 3

A young lady sat on an elaborately decorated, high-backed seat, throne-like in its resplendence. It suited her all the more as her garments, a long cyan and purple silken dress with long, knee length sleeves, altogether seeming to float around her person, spoke of similar wealthy origins. Aside from a few frontal locks pinned back from her face, her hair hung down her back, meandering along its path, itself a strange blend of faded yellow, gold, and cyan locks interspersed with those of shimmering white.

"This is the best way, Mr.Thomas. I'm so glad you can see that too." Versaia smiled, small and sweet, as she spoke her words. After that statement, farewells were soon said, and she hung up the call, but kept hold of the phone.

It'd gone well. Another agreement to their proposal. It was almost too easy, which made her wary. She would have to make a few backup plans.

That would take more time, a thought that displeased her. But they'd waited this long.

A knock on her door resounded, and she called for them to enter.

"Your eminence, Her Highness, The Princess Royal awaits an audience." A slim male servant in a floor length gold and white suit dress addressed Versaia, having bowed before he entered.

A young woman, dressed in bright pink and white swathes of material, strode into the room, her stance upon stopping authoritative. "Sister, no more moping about. We've won the conquest you've been deliberating over for so long; it's time for your skin to feel the sun's light again. You might have had a semblance of an excuse before; not now. And plus-

"I'm a little busy now, sister." Replied Versaia, in a reserved tone.

Alilei looked sceptically over at her sibling, vastly unimpressed. "Do not interrupt me, unless you want me to set you etiquette lessons again. I was going to say that mother is hosting a soiree which you will have to attend, in honour of our people's victory.

"What? Mother would never demand that of me." Versaia replied suspiciously.

Her sister gave her a sinister smile. "She was in a good mood, and I persuaded her. You know she doesn't take back what she says."

Versaia growled and gave her sister a dark look. Upon which Alilei's smile widened, her expression turning even more snakelike.

"You can't get everything you want all the time, mocho. We've got to have some standards around here, or should I say, around you."

Turning around and walking towards the door, "And pick yourself a dress too, Erri. Before I do it for you. It's tomorrow."

Her head turned until only the side of her face was visible, a devilish smile still present. "You know I've never been kind when your decisions have been left to me."

With that, she left.

Versaia exhaled, largely, and made a face at the door. That girl... Had been bored and, for the sake of some activity, had come to irritate her. She tended to succeed, and knew it too.

Though intelligent and apt in her own plans, Alilei had never taken more than a cursory interest in military matters, and when doing so, more focusing on their outcomes and general practices than thinking of how to win. She left that to Versaia, knowing she did her job well, but also more preferring to be Queen of her own domain than any other. Though sharp and vindictive when she wished to be, no monarch would ever have anything to fear from Alilei in terms of conquest or siege; she was quite content with what she had. How irritating, Versaia thought; it was easier to manipulate people who wished for something difficult to acquire. Annoying girl had everything she wanted. She'd just have to threaten to take it away someday.