ZERO .

v. BETTE HUFFED, GETTING OUT OF THE CAB and stepping out into the coldness of Gotham. She shivered and snuggled even more into her coat, burying her face deeper in her scarf.

She glanced up at the looming figure of the Wayne Manor and scowled. She didn't even want to be here but considering recent events and there being no one else to take care of her, she had to settle with her probably rich and snobby cousin she never even she had until yesterday.

Grudgingly, she stomped over to the gate and pressed a button. The thing seemed to crackle and make all kinds of ungodly sounds before a click sounded and a posh voice greeted her.

"I presume you are the young Miss Bette?" the man asks. Bette doesn't answer back and the man sighs. "I take it as a yes."

The gate creaks open like a horror movie waiting to happen but she steps in anyway, and the gate shuts behind her. She takes small steps, counting them until she reaches the steps of the manor and the door swings open.

A man—Bette assumed he was the butler of the house and also the dude from the speaker she heard earlier—stares down at her. "I must say," the man starts, "are all you Waynes this grumpy?"

Bette snarls, "I'm a Kane."

The man hums. "I suppose so. Very well, come in. It doesnt seem to be very nice standing in the cold now, is it?" And he steps aside, leaving space for Bette to pass by.

Bette sighs, stepping into the warmth radiating inside and finally unwrapped the scarf around her neck. She feels the cold shut out and warmness spread through her body as the main door closes.

"Coats and scarves on the rack," the man calls out, already heading deeper into the house. Bette obliges, and hangs her clothing on the rack by the door.

She studies the living room, seeing the fireplace near where she stood and smiled. The place looked so comfy, but so lonely. A sound of someone clearing their throat snapped her out of her thoughts and she raised her eyes to the top of the stairs where the one and only Bruce Wayne stood.

"I believe we've never been formally introduced before." Bruce says, a smile gracing his lips. "I'm Bruce Wayne, and you are?"

Bette snorts, not amused at the slightlest of Bruce's attempt to put them at equal levels. "Bette Kane, and don't you dare forget it."

iv

iv. BETTE GROWLS, STORMING OUT OF THE MANOR. She couldn't believe Bruce had the audacity to do that to her! One thing to hide about being the Batman of Gotham, the very hero she looked up to, and knowing who she was as Batgirl but to know who killed Batwoman and do nothing about it?