2. Of Ethan and the Extraordinary

* * *

"I'm here because you have to do us a favor, Grace," spoke Felix slowly and carefully, scrutinizing me with his sharp, breathtakingly gorgeous eyes. "It's not going to be easy, but destiny chose you. Destiny believes that you and only you can do it, if you really put your heart to it."

"You're scaring me," I mumbled, giving Felix a look, leaning away from him. "And what do you mean by destiny choosing me? What's happening? Who's Destiny?"

"For you to understand clearly, I'll need to start somewhere else," Felix breathed in and out before looking back up at me. "Believe this or not, but every human being on this earth has their very own guardian angel that protects them and looks after them."

I raised my eyebrow, still unconvinced. The logical side of me suddenly arose from the ashes. "If this is true, why do thousands of innocent people die? Why do people die terrible deaths and suffer unfair pain? If we have a guardian angel to take care of us, why do so many of us still get hurt?"

"Every single human being has a limited time on this earth until their death. As their guardian angels, we can't prevent their death, but we can only keep them safe until their time is over. This world is a cruel and unsafe place. You have no idea how many times I saved you from dying early. That's our one duty- we can't let you die until your time is over. You don't understand how horrible your world is, Grace. If guardian angels didn't do their jobs, mankind would cease to exist."

I listened close, bewildered by what I was hearing but let him continue speaking. "So you know when I'm going to die?"

"Yeah," Felix nodded gravely. "And it's my duty to keep you safe until then. I've been watching you since you were born, making sure you're  safe. But trust me, you have a long, long way to go before you get to leave this hellhole world. I'm pretty sure hell is a safer place than this world."

He took a long breath in before continuing. "I have a task for you, Grace. It's going to be difficult, but it's necessary."

"What is it?" My heart was beating wildly in my ribcage, still unable to process what I was listening to, or seeing. This was absolutely crazy that I was believing everything he was telling me, but how could I not? After witnessing everything, it started to make a little more sense and my irrational fear towards him began to fade away.

"Have you heard of Ethan Walsh?" Felix asked me, his voice low, and my eyebrows shot up at the name. "Ethan Walsh? You mean the bane of my existence?"

Felix smirked slowly at my reaction. "The bane of your existence? I wasn't aware you knew each other."

"How can I not know him?" I grumbled, looking around the parking lot of the McDonalds, crossing my arms across my chest. "He's the most popular guy at school, and he's been my mortal enemy since preschool. He hates my guts!"

"Well, for this to work, you've got to stop loathing him," Felix chuckled, his voice low. "His future lies in your hands."

"What do you mean?" I narrowed my eyes at Felix. "What am I supposed to do?"

"Ethan's guardian angel, well... she's missing."

I let his words sink in, confusion seeping in. "What do you mean by missing?"

Felix suddenly looked stressed, and he let out a heavy sigh. "She disappeared. All of a sudden, she's just gone. Nobody knows where she is. And that's fatal for Ethan."