Chapter One

I stared at my wristwatch, which displayed the time 7:15, as I quickly went inside the spacious office. The room was pretty much empty, except for a large mahogany desk, that had a computer on top of it, and several file cabinets at the other end.

"Yes?" I looked at the direction the voice came from. A middle-aged woman, whose dark locks were pulled in to a tight bun, sat behind the desk. She looked extremely busy as her right hand continued to type while her left hand held the coffee that was waiting to be consumed.

"I'm a new student," I said as I hoisted up the books that were slowly slipping away from my grasps.

"Name?" She asked, not once diverting her attention from the screen in front of her.

"Alecxis Everdeen," I answered almost immediately. She motioned me towards her.

"Here's your schedule." She put the white folder, that had the school's logo on it, on top of the stack of books that I was carrying. "Your locker number is 407 and the combination is inside that folder," She added, a few seconds later.

I muttered a silent, "Thank you," and went my way.

I walked down the busy hallway that had blue lockers, despite the school's name being Redwood High. All I could hear was a few laughters here and there, and several students talking in hushed tones. It seemed like a typical day at a typical high school.

As soon as I placed my books in my locker, I took the folder that I got from the office earlier. I checked my schedule and immediately groaned when I realized that Calculus was the first class I had to attend.

"Watch where you're going, dork." I whipped my head to the left where a student was sprawled out across the floor. His books were scattered on the ground and his head was lowered. His dirty blonde hair was in a mess, and in that moment, maybe his life was too.

"I'm sorry. I didn't really mean to bump into you, I swear," he said. The nervousness could easily be heard from his voice.

The once lively hallway was now quiet. All of the students were watching the same thing that I was watching. Some looked sympathetic while the others were bursting into laughter. Several students even had their phones ready to video the event that might take place.

Jerks, I thought to myself.

"You know, I really need to beat someone up today," The owner of the voice said to his friends, but by the looks of it, it seemed as though he wanted everyone to hear it. A few of his friends snickered. "Who should it be today?" He asked, very loudly if you would ask me, while he dramatically looked around to look for his possible victim. He suddenly dropped his gaze on the student that was still in front of him. His books were still scattered on the floor and so was he. He looked terrified. "You. Get up." He pointed at the guy, who just looked at him with a terrified expression. He looked like he was having a mental debate whether to run or just accept the fate that this bully had suddenly had in store for him.

Just when the bully was about to throw a punch at his gut, I went in front of the guy. The bully stared at me, mid-punch, obviously surprised.

"Don't," I said and he just stood there taken-aback. Whispers suddenly erupted and everyone was looking at me.

I swear to god, these people fed on drama.

"And who are you?" He asked. It was just now that I realized the aura that surrounded him. It was dark and mysterious. Maybe it was because of the black leather jacket. I grimaced, suddenly remembering the videos that I watched about animal cruelty.

"It doesn't matter," I answered back and he stared at me, fuming.

"You're going to regret this," He threatened, his futile attempt to scare me.