Prologue

"What do you know about our parents Tia?" My older sister once asked me.

"They're King and Queen. They have 2 daughters and a huge kingdom. They have formed the most powerful empire there has ever been." I restated a paraphrased version of my books.

"Do you know how they have managed to create this empire?" She watched me out of the corner of her eye.

I shrugged. "They fought for it. They saw an opportunity for change. For better lives and happiness and growth, and they took it." I didn't understand what she was trying to do asking that.

She nodded. "Tia," she paused, "you'll miss me right?"

"Of course. Are you nervous about the wedding?" At the time this question had seemed valid instead of stupid. I now know she hadn't been entirely scared at the prospect of being married, but at being married off.

She nodded again. "I'll going to head off to bed now. And you should do the same, okay?"

"Of course. I'll see you tomorrow."

"I'll see you tomorrow." Arachne then kissed my forehead, left my room, crossed the hall and went to hers.

I didn't see Tia the next morning. My parents told me that she had to leave early due to some "unfortunate and unexpected problems" that had arisen.

I didn't think anything of it. Problems often arose that caused for changes in plans.

Problems such as an alliance that had been pushed to the brink forcing my sister to be married off and me taking her place as heir.

Problems such as an unexpected betrayal causing for my betrothal to a prince of a neighboring kingdom to be called off.

Problems such as my parents being assassinated forcing me to have to leave everything I knew in order to hopefully not die. 

I had always had faith in my parents and their actions. They did what was right.

It's getting much harder to believe that though.

The diamonds my mom wore had once shined on dead woman's neck.

The sword my dad drew had taken so many claims.

The crown I was supposed to wear had always been seeping in blood.

And now so were my parents.

And now, so may I.