1.05

NERA DECIDED THAT above all else, she despised the feeling of failure.

Her teeth were clenched to keep them from chattering. She was shivering, but she couldn't bring herself move, to be warm. She deserved the biting cold as punishment for being so undeniably weak minded.

It felt as though she couldn't breathe, the suddenly frigid air like pin needles in her lungs. There was a horrid lump in her throat like she was about to cry or throw up the soup from earlier. Maybe both.

You don't need to keep protecting me. It's okay.

He didn't want her protecting him, but how could she blame him? She'd never felt more useless. After all, her one job as guardian was to protect and she failed. How could she have so royally screwed up?

It was all her fault. Coming back to this village, challenging an opponent for her own selfish endeavors.

She'd just watched Aang get taken away, and she did nothing.

Now she truly did feel like she could retch.

Nera was startled when she felt fingertips graze her right shoulder. Her left hand moved before her mind could, yanking the suspect forward and bringing the culprit to kneel in front of her, one hand positioned on their wrist, the other on their shoulder.

Sokka gave a surprised yelp as his body momentarily swung downwards, but as he came face to face with Nera, he stopped short. Her alarmed eyes softened from a glare as she scanned his rattled expression.

"Just hear me out!" He exclaimed.

Nera didn't make any effort to stop him, instead keeping her gaze level and when he realized she wouldn't argue, he continued.

"I know we got off on the wrong foot. We- I made a mistake, banishing you and Aang from our village." He said. "And I'm sorry."

The silence held.

"We need you. The whole world kinda does, and you don't have to accept my apology, but we kinda owe you one so please,— let us help you get Aang back."

Nera felt a type of reset wash over her mind, and she reigned her rampant thoughts in. There was no time for self pity in the midst of a battle. Dying out in the cold surely wouldn't bring Aang back, nor would it fulfill her role. Sokka fell backwards in surprise at the speed with which she sat up, picking herself up from the ground.

Nera held out a hand for him to haul himself up.

"The transgression is forgotten. Your village owes me nothing after your generous hospitality, so for now let's call it, how you say...'even'." Nera rolled the phrase over her tongue. "However, I cannot in good conscience ask you to risk your life to rescue Aang. He remains my responsibility even in absence."

Sokka looked at her outstretched arm. He took it, pulling himself up — failing not to notice the lack of effect his weight had on her. His eyes strayed down to their clasped forearms, before merging with eyes of steeled resolve.

In that moment, he thought she was the coolest person he'd ever met.

Shaking himself of the thought, he reminded himself of his argument. "As good a fighter as you are, you can't do this alone. You'll be outnumbered by probably dozens of fire nation soldiers." Sokka took in a breath, clearing his throat. "I've been training for something like this since I was like ten, waiting and hoping to find my place in this fight against the fire nation." Sokka said.

"My training begun at the age of four, so excuse my hesitancy. You treat this as though it is a test?" Nera spoke, but it came as question.

"No! It's just...I think- no, I know this is what I'm meant to do. Consider it my destiny." Sokka stammered in response.