Beginnings and Ends

10th January 2015

Only two more months to go,

With Love, uncle Alexander.

Milira smiled to no one in particular as she stood in front of the iconic blue post boxes, reading a note her uncle had attached to a parcel he'd sent. She locked the post box and darted for one of the few places in the otherwise desolate Kelpmonth to grab anything worth eating. She wiped at her brow and crossed a lone street to a food cart known for its rainbow coloured slushies and proudly South African dishes but found a, closed for the day, note. She breathed in deep, gathering her patients. Soon, everything will change, Milira reminded herself, darting underneath the overhang of a shop but the shade provided her with little relief, the air thick and humid. Two more months, she continued to chant. For now, she'd have to be satisfied with the office's shabby air-conditioning system. Hopefully today the infuriating system won't decide to break on them as it did a week ago.

However, none of the town's smothering shortcomings would matter in sixty days. She'll be able to bid it farewell and never look back. Her life would be rosier. Thus, spurred on by these thoughts, Milira turned the corner and pushed through the glass doors of her office building and headed up the dusty stairs towards the second floor.

At the door that read JDWondale Internet Company, she stilled for a moment. Her current job was no walk in the park, nor was it pleasing or a career choice on her part. The Wondale's, for short, was simply a bridge to her new future. She worked for them to accomplish one task only, save up enough money to get the hell out of town. If she continued to remind herself of this, then she got through her dreary days much faster.

Milira reached for the door.

John Wondale - the stick-figure sour patch and co-owner of JDW Internet Company- pulled open the door before her hand connected with the latch. She pulled back and met the dirty look John gave her through his immaculate glasses.

"Miss Davenport, where have you been?" John demanded, tapping his foot in annoyance.

"At lunch, Sir." Milira said with a clenched smile. She glanced at her watch. She was early, half an hour early to be exact.

He adjusted his glasses. "You're supposed to be available at all times today."

Milira withheld a scowl, and held her smile in place, losing her patience with John would do her no good. "I'm sorry, Sir, I wasn't aware of the matter."

John scoffed, narrowing his gaze on her, "Didn't Drake tell you?" he continued as if she was fabricating the facts. He didn't wait for her reply and waved an angry hand in her face, "No matter. Ready the finest china."

Milira nodded not bothering to enlighten John that they didn't have any fine china and watched him storm of with squared shoulders and an air of wintriness. She bit down on her lower jaw. Two more months. Milira shook her head in dismay and flung her weathered handbag onto her packed desk. Heaps of colourful sticky notes and files drifted towards the carpet.

"Dammit." She turned towards the kitchen, leaving the mess behind, her mantra slowly losing its endearing charm. Some days she needed an extra strong dosage of perseverance to carry on. Today, was one of those days and through it wasn't an oddity to see John riled up, the man made her blood boil. Unlike his brother, Drake Wondale, John found pleasure in raising hell in his wake. If not for Drakes pleasant manners, she would've allowed her raging piggies to storm John and eat him alive.

The view from the small kitchenette window provided her with a quiet scene of Kelpmonth. The main lane, Dup Nude Street, busied itself with nothing but tumbleweed as the town's residents were all either on vacation or locked in their homes trying to avoid the heat. She wouldn't miss the town, or its people. In her time on earth she made little friends. In Kelpmonth she never had future inhibitions. In school, Milira did well enough but she never found that special something which she could attach her dreams to. Before long, she was out of high school, and stuck without prospects of developing a better life. Within the span of a year, though, her life changed when she made the final decision to leave behind her mother and the town, she grew up in to move to her uncle's estate. An estate situated on beautiful, lush grounds just outside of a bustling city. There, she had a life. Friends, family, and prospects.