Chapter 4: Do you have a favorite Jonas?

Jane smiled as she laid her son in his crib. He had fallen fast asleep after she fed him. She listened as she heard Kelli and Nick say their goodbyes. It wasn’t ideal to have them stay in the same house together, but both of them had assured her that they were past that one night. Thankfully they were just friends. She was afraid that one night together might have changed everything. She wasn’t ready for and didn’t like change. [AN: This is very true of me. Change has never been very positive for me.]

“Are you ready for bed?” Joe asked from the doorway making her jump. She looked over at him as he smiled down at her. How had she managed to be so lucky as to get Joe Jonas as her husband? It just didn’t seem real. It had never seemed real. She smiled as he pulled her to his side and dragged her along into their bedroom.

“I talked to the contractor working on the guest house this afternoon,” Jane said as she changed into a pair of sweats and a tank top.

“Okay,” Joe said as he stripped down to his boxers not sure where his wife was going with this conversation.

“I wanted to know how much it was going to cost to complete the rest of the renovations in the house.” Joe froze turning to watch his wife as she took out her earrings. “He told me you never spoke to him about renovating the rest of the house. Then I told him about the holes in the walls, and you know what Joe?”

“What?” Joe asked with a squeak.

“He said he had nothing to do with that,” Jane said as she slid under the covers and into the bed. Joe pulled back the covers and slid in next to her. “Do you realize just how much it’s going to cost us to repair the walls you destroyed? What were you thinking Joe?”

“I was thinking that Nick and Kelli need to really talk things out,” he said pulling her to his side. She went willingly unable to resist his warmth.

“They did talk. Everything is exactly as it was before. Just how it needs to be.”

“But it’s not the same anymore Jane. Nick and Kelli crossed a line. Sometimes things have to change. They need to face their feelings for each other.”

“They don’t have any feelings for each other. They’re just friends.”

“Please. It’s obvious that there is more there than friendship.” Joe pulled her closer and draped her body across his chest. “Why are you so against Nick and Kelli being more than friends?”

“Let’s say Nick and Kelli start dating. What happens when they have a fight? Or if they broke up? I don’t want to have to choose between my two best friends. Kelli might just leave. I can’t lose her. She’s my family.”

“So am I.”

“I’m not saying that you aren’t. You and now Nate are my family, but Kelli has always been there for me. She accepted me before anyone else did.”

“Promise me you’ll let them work this out for themselves.” Jane tucked her head against his neck so he couldn’t see her face when she spoke next. She didn’t want him to figure out that she was lying.

“Fine. I’ll let them work this out for themselves.” Joe pulled her up until her face hovered above his. He traced her cheek and leaned up kissing her softly. No matter how much he tried she was still so resistant to letting him in. They kissed again and the moment grew more passionate. When Joe reached for the edge of her tank top Jane pushed his hands away stopping him. “Joe, I have to ask you something.”

“What?” he groaned as he rolled away from her.

“Why didn’t you tell Nick about us?”

“What about us?”