Chapter 4

Skipper's POV

Silence is never uncomfortable between Slash and I. He's a very internal person and I know that, so if he isn't saying anything, it's likely that he's just thinking through more important things.

It feels like a million years have passed since Slash and I have walked the streets alone together, though it used to be one of our favorite passtimes. He could think pensively, I could be there in case any questions popped into his head.

His shoulder doesn't brush mine like it used to as we walk, and he hardly sneaks any glances at me when he thinks I'm not looking. It's strange.

The New York streets are teeming with the usual shady night crowd, they bustle past us in clumps with cigarettes and brown bags of liquor as we grow nearer to our destination.

"Do we really have to travel all the way to Harlem for a drink?" I ask comically, bumping my arm against his.

He shies away a little. "Yes."

And that's all he says. Okay...

"Well then," I continue, determined to catch his eye. "It'd better be a good drink too."

I look up ahead and swallow hard. The bar sits in it's grungy glory, neon signs on the outside advertising spirits and vodka- some of the letters are dimmer than others. I've been to this bar before too-- I may or may not have kissed Izzy on a dare in there.

"This bar," I add quietly.

"Yeah," he sighs, pushing open the cracked glass door for me. "This one."

He's wearing his top hat tonight, which is strange given the fact that he doesn't quite seem to like being recognized in public. He's got shades on even though it's night, and his dark clothes scream his importance.

He leads me through the dusky room to the corner booth. Where we sat before.

"Here?" I ask with a certain hesitance.

He plops down on the black vinyl seat. "Here."

I give the room another quick look before I sit down across from him. Not long after this a sultry looking server waddles up to us with a pad of paper in hand. He doesn't even say anything, just grunts expectantly.

"Uh..." Slash says, rather decisively. "I'm not all that hungry... just bring me a burger with everything on it, basket of fries, some wings and a Jack on the rocks."

I roll my eyes.

The sultry waiter looks at me. "She'll have..." Slash begins. "Actually, don't worry about it. Bring her an appletini."

The waiter raises his scruffy brows. "Honestly, man?"

"Yes." I smile at him exaggeratedly.

One the waiter leaves, Slash begins to play with the packets of sugar left on the tabletop. "You can have the carrots and celery from my wings. And the extra hot sauce."

I give a comical glance. He knows me too well.

"Slash?"

I assume he looks at me, but his shades are dark.

"It's just me, you know."

"What?"

"No need for sunglasses. No need to hide."

Feeling courageous, I reach across the table and begin to pull them off. I frown a little when he somewhat shoos my hand away and pulls them off himself. His eyes are still guarded as he sets them on the table gently.