Chapter 7

Skipper's POV

"Jani," I complain for the millionth time and attempt to pull my hand away. But his grip is iron.

"Quiet Cherry," Jani coos as we grow closer to the grimey stairwell. "This is what you agreed to. Do you wanna help Slash or not?"

I look up at him contemptuously.

"That's right, you do. So come on."

I've never seen anything like it. Between two buildings in a city, you normally expect for there to be an alleyway- just a grimey, cracked little walkway lined with dumspters and maybe drug dealers. So when we walk up to one and see a staircase leading down into the earth, something tells me to walk the other way.

"Talk about a 'Stairway to Hell'," Jani jokes.

I glare at him.

"Sorry."

"Hey, what about the guards? They aren't following us anymore."

He looks back over his shoulder hastily. "Yeah, they're gonna stick up here and keep the car running. You know, just in case we have to escape... quickly?"

"Wait, what-"

"Come on."

He leads me down the stairs by the wrist, farther and farther down. Only the stairs don't end, and they smell like the floor of a brewery.

"Jani!"

"I love it when you say my name."

I grown inwardly and shudder a little as we finally reach a landing I wasn't expecting. Jani fumbles through the darkness, curses a little.

"Ah, here we go."

Suddenly a door opens, and we are bathed in bright red light. I shield my eyes as he leads me into an insanely crowded bar-like room, complete with a stage, a counter, women, and a bouncer staring at us expectantly.

"Get behind me now," Jani says gently and brushes the hair from my eyes. "Don't want them questioning you."

I smile and nod to his face, but as soon as he turns around I retch a little in my mouth.

He oils up to the bouncer with me hidden behind his back, giving one of his... 'charming' smiles.

"Well if it isn't Jani Lane," the bouncer says with faux enthusiasm. "Thought I'd never see you scrounging around with the likes of us, now that you've gotten yourself a fancy record deal, huh Lane?"

He chuckles nonchalantly. "Oh come on now. I never forget my roots."

"Uh huh," the bouncer says, unconvinced. "If you plan to kill anyone with arrogance, do them a favor and save it, won't you Lane?"

"Whatever. Just let me in, you fat fuck," Jani replies with a smile.

"Sure thing Lane," the greasy bouncer growls. "Once you tell me who your little friend is."

Jani's smile falters a little. "Just one of the girls. No biggie."

The bouncer leans around Jani's broad shoulders and looks at me. "No wait a minute, I'd know that face anywhere! What the hell is Nelson-Rose doing with the likes of you, you fucking rat? Did you kidnap her?"

Jani's eyes narrow. "I happen to be very affluent now, and capable of providing the kind of companionship she... craves. Now do me a damn favor and don't tell the whole damn room that she's here? We're trying to keep a low profile tonight."

The bouncer looks at me. I say nothing.

"Whatever, Lane. Move along."

Jani clears his throat and pulls me quickly into the crowded room. There's no one on the cracked wooden stage quite yet, but euphoric music pumps throughout the entire club nonetheless. Sweaty bodies coming from all directions push up against us as we make our way through.