In The Beginning

I take my seat on the Hogwarts Express and avert my gaze to the parents and students on the platform saying their goodbyes. I shake my head, remembering the wonderful goodbye my own parents had given me, then turn back to the compartment door as it slides open.Ginny Weasley, my best friend comes in and sits next to me, followed closely by her brother Ron and his friends Hermione and Harry "The Boy Who Lived" Potter.I offer a polite smile toward him as his green eyes meet mine. While I'm close to everyone else friend wise, Harry and I just don't mesh very well. Ginny's arms wrap around me as the train pulls away from the platform. I hug her back and she asks about my summer. I sigh, feeling bad for not writing to her over the vacation.
"Well, I was locked in the manor the whole time. Alone. It was not very fun."
"I'm sorry, did you atleast get to see Matthew?"
"No," I scowl, thinking of my boyfriend. "he went to France with his family. I haven't seen or heard from him. He owled once but that was all."
                   She raises an eyebrow and purses her lips, biting back her suspicions. She and Matthew never got along at all, so I have to spend time with them separately to keep them from fighting.
The door opens again and Matthew walks in before sitting next to me, gently shoving me closer to Ginny.I smile and stand up so I can lean over and hug him. He hugs me back for a second and kisses my forehead before joining Harry and Ron's discussion about Quidditch. I ignore his silence toward me and gossip with Ginny and Hermione,listening to their summer stories. When the train finally gets closer to Hogwarts, the girls and I gather our uniforms and head to the bathroom to change.
"Why did Matthew pretty much ignore you?" Ginny asks while zipping up her skirt.
"He was probably just focused on Quidditch and seeing the guys again. I'm sure we'll spend time together after the feast." I avoid her eyes and turn back to the mirror to fix my eyeliner.
Ginny looks doubtful, but stays silent as she applies her lip gloss.
"Hey Lena, did you notice Ron staring at you?" Hermione asks as she comes out of the stall.
"Uh, no? He was staring at me?"
"It sure looked like it. Every time Matthew turned to Harry, Ron would stare atyou until Matthew turned back."
"Maybe my brother likes you." Ginny chimes in, sounding suggestive.
"I'm dating Matthew and I don't even like Ron that way." I remind her.
We finish primping and return to the compartment. I can feel Ron's eyes on me for the remainder of the ride thanks to Hermione's observation.
                        The train comes to a stop and we get off and head toward the carriages. I catch sight of Hagrid herding the first years toward the boats and focus my attention back to the carriages. The thestrals are hooked to them, unnoticed to most of the Hogwarts students. Only those who have seen death can see the beasts. Luna Lovegood, a Ravenclaw, stops beside me, her bright blue eyes looking between the thestrals and myself. She asks if I think they're pretty before walking up and petting it. I stare at her for a moment longer before looking for Ginny who simply nods at me and pulls the trio away, leaving me with Matthew. We climb into a carriage and it pulls away.
"So, how was your Holiday, Love?" I ask, breaking the silence.
"It was good." He answers, staring out at the grounds.
"I didn't hear from you over the break."
"I was busy."
"What were you doing?" I ask, curious to know since I'd never been to France.
"Nothing. Don't worry about it."
"If you were busy it wouldn't be nothing."
"I said it's nothing!" He snaps, making me flinch back away from him. He's never raised his voice to me. This is new.     

A/N: So this story was another oldie that I'm attempting to revive so sorry if it sucks. Let me know errors or stupid things.