s i x

"Why am I here," Roselyn whispered, voice shaky.

Voldemort stood from his seat at the head of the table, grinning darkly as he walked closer to the Stirling family, his dark robes billowing dramatically around them.

"Your family has been serving me faithfully since I first rose to power, Miss Stirling. Now," he gripped her biceps from behind, leaning down to speak directly into her ear. "It's your turn, now, darling."

A shiver of fear shot down her spine.

He turned her around. "Do you think you can handle it? Do you think you can serve me, loyally, for the rest of your life?"

Roselyn's eyes flashed to her parents. Her father was looking at her proudly, while her mother was glaring, nodding her head fiercely. "Say yes," she mouthed, red-painted lips parting in a snarl.

"Y-yes," Roselyn stuttered.

Voldemort tutted. "Now, now, you don't sound so sure."

"I am," Roselyn rushed out, clearing her throat. "I'm sure."

"I do hope that you live up to my expectations," Voldemort hissed. "Now, before I give you the Mark, I need you to understand something. You will have a task. You will be aiding Draco in his task." He went quiet, eyes narrowing as he forced his way into her mind to tell her the details.

Her legs were shaking when he finished, face completely pale.

"Can you do that for me, darling?"

"Yes, My Lord."

He grinned, baring his teeth. "Good, good. Now...give me your left arm."

She held her arm out, watching with watery eyes as Voldemort pushed back her sleeve, pressing the tip of his wand against the skin of her forearm, pushing it down harshly. He hissed a spell, and a fiery pain raced through her nerves, forcing a tortured scream out of her lips. Voldemort grinned at the sound.

Obsidian-black ink tainted the snowy flesh of her arm, swirling through her skin, taking the form of a snake protruding from a skull.

"Welcome," Voldemort hissed. "To my ranks."

Stefan beamed proudly at his daughter, a malicious glint in his eye.

•••

Roselyn fell out of the fireplace, into the room in the Hog's Head, hunching over on the carpet as she choked out sobs.

Her left forearm throbbed as she sat up on her knees, tears dripping off her cheeks. She clawed at her arm, tugging down her sleeve. She was still in the dress her mother transfigured for her.

"Stirling." She gasped, whirling around and falling onto her bum as she saw who stood behind her.

"Draco!"