Chapter 4: A Day In South Central

Major T

"What the fuck is wrong with you?" I yelled in the middle of the hallway "I done already told your stupid ass I only did that shit one time for a little money! Stop asking me bitch!"

It was only the end of the day at school, the hallways were cleared with everyone outside trying to get home. Except for me and this one boy who has been asking me for some weed for two weeks now. I sold some to him last month, I was desperate for $100. I couldn't ask my brothers since money is always tight for us. They do have bills to pay for the house. All four of them work. But the third oldest, Anthony, slangs dope. Just a little something he do.

"Damn Tamera, why you acting like a bitch?" He asked.

I got angry immediately then slammed his head into a locker. He screamed in pain as I punched him in his nose.

I leaned over him, the devil sparked in my eyes. "And the next time you call me a bitch I'ma take that sorry ass excuse for a chain around yo neck and cut the circulation off to ya nut sack. Understand me nigga?"

He nodded his head rapidly before running off down the halfway. I turned the other direction and headed to the bus that I ride with Cube.

"The flyest one you know nigga," I heard Cube say as I got on. I speed walked my way to the seat he was sitting in and sat down next to him.

"Sup T," he greeted me.

"Sup Cube," I said back to him.

"Where you been?"

"Just taking care of business."

"I don't even wanna know." He shook his head.

Few moments later the bus pulled off. While we rode the bus Cube and I were writing rhymes on a notebook, we think of each other as writing partners. I have been writing poems since I was little and learned how to write. As we were writing, a song started playing. My head started bobbing to the beat as it got louder.

"What up cuz?" One of the boys on the bus yelled out the window. A group of teenage boys were crowded by the window as he kept yelling that same quote out the window.

Out of nowhere the bus came to a halt, then the most unexpected thing happened. A group gang bangers walked onto the bus with guns in their hands. My heart beat increased as I watched them intensely. Cube gulped loudly, I guess he had the same feeling as did.

"Y'all wanna try that again?" The gang member asked. "Y'all need to gang bang them books instead of trying to be something y'all ain't. Shit you never know," he put his gun up to the teenage boy's head. "Cause I might be the one to kill ya mother fucking ass. Remember me: O.G 2 Tone, Crenshaw Mafia, Blood." He looked around at all of us before walking off wit his gang. Then the bus continued to drive. I sighed in relief that nothing bad happened.

About twenty minutes later Cube and I got off the bus. Instead of going home, we decided to go over to Jinx's house and see what he's up to. We wanted to get back to working on music for our group CIA. We found Dre in the back of the house working his magic on a turntable. The way his hands moved on it was like he was the master of making beats. Jinx sat in front watching him. I leaned against a dresser while Cube straddled a chair.

"Damn!" I exclaimed. "Fuck that shit up Dre!"

"Shit was dope homie!" Cube exclaimed.

"Wassup Cube? Wassup T?" Dre said to us.

"Nothin much," I simply said.

"Man, the craziest thing happened on the bus earlier. Crenshaw Mafia got on there, gave a fucking motivational speech and then bumped out," Cube explained.

"Damn," Jinx said. Dre just shook his head.

"I mean that shit was crazy," I mumbled.

Cube lifted up a pair of pants and looked at Dre. "You must be stayin' a while."

"Yeah his moms kicked him out because of that mouth," Jinx said.

"She didn't kick me out, I left," Dre explained.

"Yeah that's what they all say," I said smartly.

"Y'all got them rhymes?"

"We stay on top the rhymes," Cube said getting out the notebook we were writing in.

"I mean that hard shit."

"All we write is that hard shit Dre." Cube turns around and dapped me.

"Y'all ready for Doo-Too's?"

"Shoot, is Doo-Too's ready for us?" I fired back.

"Y'all know that's Compton right? They got body bags at the door." Cube and I just gave him an unimpressed look. Like we didn't grow up in the ghetto or some shit. "Aight, y'all better bring it tonight cause if you don't, you might end up in one."

Me and Cube just chuckled, we got this.

Hours later the sun was already set we had to get ready for Doo-Too's. Doo-Too's was a night club owned by Dre's uncle Lonzo. The two of them were in an electro singing group called the World Class Wreckin Cru. Along with another dude named DJ Yella who I only met a couple of times. He's... weird.

Right when we walked out the door police cars we lined outside with cops harassing a bunch of niggas. I shook my head as we tried to get across the street. I made it but once I turned around the cops forced Cube down on the car. Around here, police are always fucking with us.

"Hey get off him!" I yelled. "He wasn't doing anything!"

"Tamera don't!" Cube yelled as he got pushed down. A cop came at me and shoved me to the ground and I fell.

I was so tempted to beat the shit out of the cop but then I would be arrested for an actual crime. So I just walked fast across the street and stood next to Cube's parents, Doris and Hosea. They were the closest things I had to real parents. They always welcome me into their home and sometimes they spend a little of their money on me. I love them like parents but sometimes I wish they didn't do so much for me since they already have four kids to take care of. I'm still great full though.

"Son! We right here!" Hosea shouted.

They finally let Cube off.

"Tamera, what's going on?" Doris asked me, she was horrified by what they were doing.

"The same thing that always happens around here."

I walked off and went home. I ran past my brothers and went straight to my room. I dropped my backpack on the floor. I climbed through my bedroom window and then knocked on Cube's window. He opened it and helped me climb inside his bedroom. We hugged each other tightly for a few moments.

"Come on let's get ready," he said letting me go.

Just another day in South Central.

Excitement is on the way so hang tight. Comment and vote please.