Another persons opinion #5

Bella shares almost every characteristic with a Mary Sue before her vampire transformation and then shares every trait after it.

Definition: A character, usually found in bad fanfiction, who represents the author within the story. They are generally characterized by a lack of flaws, heavy emphasis on looks, whether exaggerating the character's beauty or downplaying it to the point where it becomes bragging, and the ability to miraculously get everything they could possibly want.

First off she attracts almost every guy she comes into contact with and gets the hottest guy in school despite her plain looks. That alone not only describes wish fulfillment as someone the reader wants to be because it's something extremely tangible yet unlikely, but fills the requirement of the character being extremely beautiful. Despite the fact that the female vampires are more beautiful no one actually treats them as such. Even their significant others don't treat them like the most beautiful creature they've ever seen and the townspeople stay away from them. In fact the male Cullen's treat Bella with more fascination than they do their wives. So that arguments not going to work. This is just an instance (one of many) where Bella downplays herself in order to not seem like what she is: strike one.

Secondly her physical traits literally describes a younger hotter version of the author. She wrote not only herself in the book, but as the main character who has the "fairytale" romance happen to her (wish fulfillment and self-insert): strike two.

Thirdly Bella, though has many flaws I will not go into, but none of them are treated as such. Every character treats her as though she's a perfect angel and if they don't that character is put into a negative light (perfect character): strike three.

Fourthly Bella has no discernible personality, it completely wrapped up into another person who also has no discernible personality, all so that the reader can insert themselves in her position. She has to state her personality traits instead of show them so we know what she is, and despite all that she states seldom does she ever show them. The only discernible trait she actually shows is pretty much obsession and nothing else. There is nothing to her so the reader can put whatever they want in place of her: strike four and we've already been out.

Lastly by the end of the book Bella has everything she wants with doing absolutely no work, sacrifice, or flaws. She's the perfect newborn vampire who isn't rabid for blood. She keeps everything she was supposed to sacrifice to be with Edward (Jacob and her father). Everybody who didn't think of her as the most beautiful creature in the world before now does and always with the line "it suits you". Despite her clumsy stature as a human she is now more graceful than every other vampire. And lets not forget impossible baby which pretty much rings the truest for wish fulfillment because by SM's rules she set for her own world the baby shouldn't even be possible, but it can't be a happy ending if the main couple don't get married and have a baby, so it's there: strike five and no one should have been batting this long.

Bella is a pretty much the embodiment of a Mary Sue just one that got famous because of the medium used. It's a "fairytale" romance that the reader is supposed to want, so the main character is a blank slate the reader can put themselves in place of. Same goes for Edward, he's basically a blank slate the reader can put any one they want in place of.

Also using your logic for why Bella isn't a Mary Sue disproves your argument against Katniss. She's not desired by every man she's desired by two. Everyone else is deterred by those flaws. I think your just more forgiving of Bella because you like her more. Your argument for Katniss should involve more things like she's very monotonous in her thoughts, she's almost unstoppable with a bow despite its inefficient loading time making her very OP, I'm sure there are others, but this isn't about Katniss it's about Bella.