1

Scorchkit opened her blue and green eyes to see sunlight shimmering in the nursery. Raising her head, Scorchkit opened her jaws and yawned, but silently. She didn't notice it though. Scorchkit padded out of the nursery to see cats, bigger than her, talking. Some sitting in the shade, others eating prey or leaving and entering the camp. What Scorchkit didn't realize was someone was getting ready to pounce. Scorchkit looked up at the bigger cats as a blur of brown and white fur hurled towards the kit. Scorchkit looked in horror as a shape loomed over her. "Hello sister!" Bloodkit said evilly. Bloodkit's eyes were like Scorchkit, except they were unusually cloudy and foggy looking. Purrs of amusement came from Squirrelstar as she glanced over at the littermates. "They grow up too fast." She meowed to her sister. Leafpool nodded, "I remember when we were kits, you tried to sneak out of the camp one night." "What are you talking about?!" The ginger she cat asked nervously, "Oh you know what I mean! Then Firestar had to get some warriors to drag you back in the camp!" Squirrelstar rolled her eyes, "I was a kit back then! Not like you were too!" Leafpool gave a purr of amusement. Scorchkit stood up and looked over her shoulder at her mother who was like them, brown fur and green eyes who stayed in the nursery. Spottedheart never talked to the kits or even took care of them. All she would do if Bloodkit or Scorchkit did something to make her feel proud of her kits would say, "Get down!" Or "Don't act so immature!" But, their father, Ratfang, who had brown fur with dark blue eyes, he took care of them. He would always say, "Don't mind her. She doesn't understand what miracles are." Or "I'm proud to have you as my kits." Ratfang muttered something to Jayfeather and padded over to the two kits. "Can you two help me and Jayfeather with something?" Both kits nodded and followed Ratfang into the medicine den. "Bloodkit, can you please move the pebble by Jayfeather for me please?" Bloodkit puffed out his chest and walked straight to where a pebble by Ratfang was and gave it to Jayfeather instead. Jayfeather's blind blue eyes looked at Ratfang and nodded. "Thanks Bloodkit!" Bloodkit nodded and sat down by his sister once again. "Now, Scorchkit? Can you please tell me what this herb smells like? I might need to make sure it's not something that would harm a sick or injured cat." Scorchkit got a whiff of the herb which was a leaf that scented of sweetness and tempted her to eat it but, she didn't. She opened her jaws and tried to say what she wanted to say but, nothing came out. Confused, she tried again, and again, and again. But each time, it would follow with silence. "Come on Scorchkit! It shouldn't be that hard to say something!" Ratfang gave a quick nervous glance to Jayfeather who lowered his head. "I must get Squirrelstar for something. Stay here." Jayfeather's padded out of the den and left Scorchkit trying to make a sound. When the gray tabby returned, the ginger leader nodded for Ratfang and Jayfeather to leave. "Bloodkit? Scorchkit? I must tell you something. This will change how your life will be laid out for you. There is a reason Jayfeather and Ratfang wanted you here. I'm very sorry for what has happened but, Bloodkit, you are blind. You would never be able to see anything but darkness. Scorchkit, you are mute, you will never be able to say a thing. I'm very sorry this has happened to you two. I promise that we will be there for you two and if anything is wrong, please come to me." Scorchkit looked up in horror before she heard Spottedheart's voice rang throughout the camp.

"THESE?! THESE ARE NOT MY KITS!"