Chapter 10

The lavish port of Hectyra shimmered on the horizon. The wealthiest and strongest of the five city-states that made up Epros, she was guarded by a massive wall and a fortified harbor. Marble stallions capped pillars on the city's four corners. A fifth pillar towered over the others in the city's center. At the top stood a forty-foot golden statue of Hectyros, divine husband of the city and Lord of the Realm Below the Waves.

Jaska, Zyrella, and Ohzikar were traveling a dusty back road that wound its way toward the city through golden barley fields and verdant vineyards. Passersby gave them a wide berth and sometimes outright fled when they spotted Jaska. Even this far into Epros, palymfar conjured fear within a populace who could identify them by their uniforms and gear. Each time this happened, Jaska's face froze into a defiant mask.

On a hill shaded by three large elms, they shared a lunch of stale flatbread and goat cheese. Ohzikar and Zyrella engaged Jaska in conversation, clearly to his displeasure. Along the way, he had kept to himself and spent every free moment either sleeping or exercising.

Ohzikar said to him, "You're far too conspicuous. Why don't you wear some of my clothes."

"I won't hide who I am. I will never again become someone else."

Zyrella pleaded, "Jaska, you're frightening people. And the palymfar aren't welcome in Hectyra. The Archons will have you arrested and executed."

"I'm not going to enter the city until nightfall."

The look in his eyes caused Zyrella and Ohzikar to drop the argument.

Zyrella repacked the leftovers of their lunch while Ohzikar checked the horses. "We have a little money in a bank here, but I suspect the best we can afford will probably be a the deck of a small trading vessel. And we'll need one that doesn't plan on making any stops in Hareez."

"Money isn't a problem. I have connections here. Several rich businessmen were receptive to the palymfar cause. They won't know that anything is different about me. I will approach the least powerful and demand a ship with a crew and mercenaries. He will give me whatever I ask to earn favor over his rivals."

"Are there palymfar within the city now?" Zyrella asked.

"Three elite operatives."

"Can the Grandmaster send a message to them over this much distance?"

"He couldn't before, not even to me."

"Could he relay messages out here," she asked, "bouncing them between operatives?"

"Within Hareez, relaying a message is feasible but all the way through Epros would be nearly impossible. And Hectyra itself is guarded from sorcery."

"Yes," said Zyrella, "but the barrier provided by the towers isn't strong."

"It doesn't need to be against sorcery performed from such distance."

"What should we do while you're securing a ship for us?" Ohzikar asked suspiciously. He didn't like Jaska going it alone. He didn't trust the man to stay true to himself.

"Find any texts you can for me on Salima's sigils. Otherwise, keep out of sight, in case word about us has somehow reached here. Do you know a secure place to stay?"

"The military quarter," Ohzikar replied. "At the home of an old tutor."

"Then I will send word to you there when everything is ready. Until then, I'll stay with our benefactor to see that he complies with my wishes."

As they rode onward, Jaska thought of Mardha and Zyrella, of the dream he'd had, of how similar the two women were. It was one more curse to torture him. He slowed and allowed Zyrella to draw even with him. As he spoke, he avoided eye contact.