Chapter 24

Darren:

Terror eats at me, but there is nowhere to go. I'm stuck on the spot, her finger pointing at me.

"I want him as a vampire."  Those are the words I heard. Did I hear them right? My mind is filled with images of Frank, of the creature that burst from those robes. I shudder. Black scales, beady eyes and venomous fangs sinking into the soft flesh of his neck. Draining his blood. That is a true monster.

And then the transformation. He became a vampire, a creature of the night, one of those beings we set out to hunt. Were they all human once? I saw surprise in his newly red eyes, before he was swallowed whole by this creature. This snake. The one that calls himself master.

And the girl. She drank from Frank without hesitation, without pause, just like the vampires of the stories. Yet I couldn't peel my eyes away, couldn't turn from her. An unfamiliar feeling in my stomach, mixed with my fear. Despite it all, I had a desire to protect. Although I'm not sure she needs protecting anymore. Looks like it's me who'll need protecting.

The hissing voice of the master fills my mind. "Of course, Alesco. As has been foretold. He was the one in your vision was he not?"

He, or it, waves a lazy arm in my direction, but the hooded head does not look round. I stare at the black robe, at the ebony arm. Where do those arms come from? A snake has no arms. I shudder at the thought. My mind wanders back, away from this dark and pressing place, back to my home and family. So much to take in, so much I can't get my head around.

"You have seen the the future."  The master says." We shall call a gathering, so all may watch his transformation, and then we shall go to war."

"Yes, master." She says, fixing her eyes on mine for a moment longer. What vision are they talking about? What future? Her yellow gaze is piercing. I feel my heartbeat, recently slowed, pounding hard and fast again, I feel heat rising in my face.

"Come, Alesco."

The master waves an arm and bars descend from the ceiling, screeching and scraping on the old stone, moving towards the ground. We're trapped again, but this time we are trapped together. At least what's left of us. The image of Frank haunts my mind, the fear, the tranformation, the blood smear that remains of him.

"Damn this!" Says Jack, as the master and girl, Alesco, disappear around the corner, out of sight.

"What in the damnest hells is that thing?"

I can't bring myself to speak, I'm not sure what to say. Jack is pacing the hallway, boots crashing heavily with each step, his deep breathing fills the air. He's scared, I hear it in his voice. Hells, I'm terrified.

"How do we get out of this?" Andrew says. He's sitting up now, though still on the ground where he fell.

"No idea." I say, managing to speak. It's more of a croak that comes out. "You feeling ok?"

"I'll live." He says.

"Not for damn long at this rate." Says Jack. "You heard that monster. We're all food and batteries! Food and batteries. And somehow we are the damn key to them rising up and taking control!"

He's right. And she wants me as a vampire. Oddly, I'm feeling something strange, beneath the terror, beneath the worry and pain and anger and grief. It's hard to place. I'm confused, maybe I'm still weak from my injuries. It almost feels like desire.

But no. Why would I want to be a monster, a blood drinking night dweller. Something I've been taught to hate and to fight. To catch and to turn. Must be the lack of air. Same reason I feel she might need protecting. Foolishness.