Chapter 27

Ambrose:

"Who are you?" The director says, still speaking in the wolf language, golden eyes fixed on mine.

"I am Ambrose." I say. "One of the first vampires to walk the island, child of the master."

His eyes flick up and down my human form and I feel my fear multiply. The director smiles as though sensing my discomfort.

"What makes you think you would be any help to me at all?" He says.

"I know the darkness, I know the village. I know the master and he trusts me." I say. I knew the master as a vampire, when I was one of the strongest and wisest and oldest. I could out-fight most. Now, as a human, I am weak. I don't know how the master would receive me.

"You think your master has use of a flesh bag like you? You are no vampire now."

I say nothing. He hasn't killed me yet. His hesitation gives me hope. There must be something he thinks can be gained. I must make it true if I am to get back to Alesco and Leila and Wynn.

The one called Mike is looking between us, I see from his expression that he seems to understand the wolf speak.

"What do you think, Mike?" The director says, turning to his companion. "Will this human be of any use to us?"

Mike looks at me, into my eyes, and his expression is unreadable.

"Well, sir, I guess 'e could lead us to them, maybe go on ahead, like a livin' shield. I doubt his master'll be wantin' anythin' with a human..." Mike trails off.

"You would help us to save yourself, but how do we know that you don't plan treachery?" The director says.

I bow my head a little in submission before I answer. I have to persuade him, though I think he can see right through me. I have to get there. This human body has scrambled my thoughts and the emotions are out of control. It is a strange feeling, I feel like myself, but my body, this shell, betrays me. I take a deep breath.

"All I ask are the lives of my family. Give me those and I shall not betray you. I know the ways, I can lead you, I can show you."

This man, if he is a man, reaches out, still smiling and places a hand on my head. I'm ready for it, I muster images of Alesco andLeila, Wynn and Clemente and hold them at the forefront of my mind.

My heads snaps back and my surroundings dissolve. Each of their faces flash before me. I struggle with all my will to keep them there.

"Very well." The director says. The cell comes back into focus and I see his face. "I see them in your thoughts."

The director turns and walks from the cell, I hear his footsteps echoing down the cavernous hall. Mike stays where he is, watching me closely. I don't dare move. Where is he going? I wonder and the footsteps stop.

Moments elapse and then I hear the footsteps coming back. There is another sound as well now, as though something is being pulled or dragged against the stone. Something heavy. I see an evil smile form on Mike's lips as he looks along the corridor at something I can't see. A heavy dread fills my stomach.

The sound closes in and the director appears in front of my cell. His hand is raised and the dragging sound stops. Instinct kicks in as I see Clemente, suspended in mid-air, appearing in front of me. I leap forward. I don't know what I am going to do, but I know I have to do something.

The director raises his other hand and before I get even a few feet I find myself flying back into the cell wall, hitting it with a hard thud, the air once again expelled from my lungs. I fall the floor.