Fever

When Tina woke up next, she saw white. For a moment she thought she'd been dreaming and she was back in the tower, but when she saw all the people bustling around, she knew she was wrong. Shakily, Tina stood from the bed she  lay on and ran up to one scientist. "Excuse me? Where am I? What's going on?" Tina was on the verge of panic.

The man turned around. Covering his face was a thick mask. He glared. "I suppose your memory before the Globe is gone?" Tina stepped back.

"What are you talking about? I've been in that glass place since I was a baby." He rolled his eyes and pressed a button on his mask.

"Francie, get over here and fill in Project Omega." The voice from the other side was muffled.

"Copy that, sir," it said, and Tina gulped. What on earth was going on? She was about to run when a strong hand grasped her arm. "I'm Francie. I'll tell you what's happening, but you need to calm down. If you so much as try to go anywhere, you'll be dead before you can think. This way!" Francie barked like a drill sergeant - though from the looks of it, she was a drill sergeant. Tina had no choice but to follow.

Francie led her to a room with actual color in it. For once, it was just wonderful. It was like Tina's eyes had been opened again and the world was brand new. She sat her on a bench and slammed the door. Tina jumped. In front of her was a large, red screen. Francie pushed a switch and it flickered to life. "The year is 4978," Francie told her, "We're in New Asia, America. After the great fever, America was the only safe place left." She pushed a button on her remote and the screen showed a picture of the back of someone's neck. My neck, Tina though. She gulped.

"Those numbers are the numbers of the Globe you were assigned to. Twelve." A second later, there was a picture of people dying and rushing around. "The great fever." Francie spoke in a monotone. "The fever wiped out the entire population everywhere but here - America. Here, it wiped out only half. That's you." She pointed to a figure on the screen. A dead figure. And she was right. 

It was Tina.