Chapter Nineteen - Life Sentence

~Chapter Nineteen - Life Sentence~

For a moment, an eerie silence settled over us, and I could hear crickets chirping in the background. I stayed stationary, staring into his eyes and not showing the true fear I felt in that moment. My whole body threatened to tremble, but I dug my feet into the wet soil and kept my head held high, wanting to appear as strong as possible.

Lucas’s dark eyes flashed, and he swallowed thickly. “Lacey, I have no idea what you’re talking about,” he said in an unusually deep voice.

“Oh, cut the crap, Lucas,” I said viciously. “I want the truth. Now. I’m sick of these lies and games. You killed Finn McDermott.”

“My best friend?” he snorted, though it sounded nervous. “Why would I kill my best friend?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” I replied, stepping forward and gaining confidence. I was strong. I could do this. “Maybe because you’ve been drugging the team so that you could get that scholarship to Indiana, maybe? Am I close, Lucas?”

His face smoothed over, and his alabaster skin paled even more. He lifted his chin. “How do you know that?”

            At least he was dropping the innocent act. It would make it a lot easier to drag a confession out of him now. “Because Finn told me.”

            His jaw clenched as his teeth gritted. “Finn’s dead, Lacey. You didn’t even know him. You arrived two months before he disappeared.”

            I stepped forward until we were close enough that if I reached out my hand, I’d be touching him. I stared into his eyes relentlessly. I wouldn’t let a coward like Lucas Stylz scare me. “What makes you so sure?”

            He shook his head. “You’re lying. You don’t know anything.”

            I leant forward. “Are you willing to take that risk?” I breathed out.

            He stepped back from me, wetting his lips with his tongue. “No, you don’t know anything. You’re simply guessing. You only arrived in Hopetown eight months ago. He died two months before that.”

            I cocked an eyebrow. “How did you know he died ten months ago? He only disappeared. The police only found his body a few weeks ago, and they haven’t released how long he’s been dead. For all you know, he ran away and got killed out there. So how did you know he’s been dead that long?”

            His eyes flashed. He knew I had him. “How the hell do you know this?”

            “Finn told me,” I repeated.

            “Finn’s dead!” Lucas screamed.

            I cocked an eyebrow. “How are you so sure? We both know you’ve seen him lately. He’s pretty mad at you, you know. Killing him and all.”

            “No,” Lucas said, grabbing his hair, looking like he was ready to start pulling it out. “He’s dead! There’s no way! It was my imagination!”

            “How do you know he’s dead?” I replied, stepping forward and hoping to push him over the edge. My words flowed out quicker and my voice rose as I stepped forward. “How do you know he’s dead? How. Do. You. Know?”

            It worked.

            “Because I killed him!” Lucas screamed, meeting my eyes. “I shot him. I watched him die. I buried his dead body in the forest. That’s how I know!” His eyes bore into mine. “Question is: How did you?”