Epilogue - Heavenly

Five Months Later…

Life’s a funny thing. It comes and goes, ebbing and flowing like the waves in the sea; a continuous ripple effect. One life being stripped from a person can mean the beginning of another’s journey through the rollercoaster ride that is life.

Whilst Finn McDermott, a beloved son, friend, brother and boyfriend, had been taken away from life at the tender age of eighteen, I sincerely hope that it was for the best. I hope that his impromptu death leant another life, or maybe gave someone a few extra years on his or hers to live a long and joyous life. As someone takes a breath, another takes his or her last, and I hope that person’s breath was worth it. I hope for Finn, it was all worth it.

It was also strange how, despite the fact I’d felt pain and heartbreak beyond anything I’d ever experienced before, life moved on as normal, as if nothing had ever happened before. People continued to live their lives, oblivious to the fact Finn had lost his, and no one was any the wiser about the pain I’d been through.

Lucas was convicted for life, with thirty years non-parole, and the guarantee that he would live a miserable life filled with cold dinners, uncomfortable beds and a scratchy uniform he would be forced to endure for more than half of his life.

Ryan began his senior year of high school, and is still dating Hayley, who now attends a community college and is studying hospitality and associated kitchen studies.

Emma, Beth and Gabbi went their separate ways, and, to be honest, I hadn’t heard from them in over three months. They were living their own lives, and I knew that after high school, everything would change. You lost friends, gained new ones, and lost the people closest to you. I’d even lost contact with Cadency, which hit me pretty hard, but she was off in Massachusetts studying physics with a steady boyfriend and her own apartment. I wouldn’t hold her back with idle chitchat about the past and things you couldn’t change. Sometimes you had to learn to let things go.

I was taking courses at community college, and, whilst it wasn’t the future I’d had planned for myself, it was sufficient enough. I was studying forensic science, which would hopefully lead into a life of detective work, where I could continue to avenge the deaths of people who didn’t deserve to die. It was my own helping to the world. Plus, I had the added advantage of necromancy on my side to help me solve the case. Granted I could gather the evidence I had with Lucas, I was pretty sure I could make a living out of doing that, and it was my way of giving back and helping people, one serving of justice at a time.

I hadn’t met a guy, and, honestly, it wasn’t a main priority at the moment. It had only been six months since I lost Finn, and I was focusing solely on my career now. That wasn’t to say I’d never settle down and get married—maybe one day I’d meet another Mr. Perfect whom I’d love just as much as Finn—but since that white knight was yet to appear, I was fine with focusing on my financial future, instead of my romantic one.

I missed Finn everyday, but the loss was easier to bear. It became easier to accept the fact that I’d never see him again, and whilst I’d still shed a few tears over him more than I’d care to admit, it was becoming less of a challenge to move past it and get on with everyday life. On some days, I could even smile at the memories of him, instead of cry for the lack of memories I’d ever make again.