Chapter 1: I think he hates me

Tanner Chester hates me.

There was no point in trying to deny it or sugar coat it. Tanner Chester absolutely hated me. And maybe I hate him too. He's never nice-to anyone-he always sees himself as the pinicle of amazing, but reguardless of all the horrid qualities he has. And how many times he has been a complete pain in my back side, he chose me and I said yes.

For what? I'm sure you're wondering. To be his mate, that's what.

Normally, if the 'mate' didn't like the other, they would fight with one another. Since he was the one that asked me to be his mate, if he won, then I would be his mate, but if I won then I'm out of the deal. When I pictured the day that I would be asked to be mated this was not the day I imagined.

“Pardon?”

People in the crowd turn to look at us. No one has ever asked someone so publically. Especially at school.

Tanner raises an eyebrow. “I asked if you would be my mate.”

I hold my books to my chest, looking at him skeptically. Was he seriously asking me? Me? Of all people? I mean, Tanner hasn't exactly tried to hide his dislike for me. Tanner is a senior this year while I'm a Junior. It started when I was a Freshmen.

I'm the type of person who will say what's on her mind. I try not to get involved in other people's affairs but his brother, who's in my grade, was picking on my friend, Shilo, for being a lesbian. I told him to leave her alone, he laughed in my face, so I punched him in his. He broke his nose.

I bruised a knuckle, but it healed nice.

Ever since then, Tanner Chester has expressed his unbelieveable hate toward me.

“Be your mate?” I step back, trying to get a better look at him. His dark eyes hold flecks of gold to them. His curly black hair just going into his eyes. “Why?”

Tanner's eyes flash. “Is that a no?” He sounds like he almost wants me to say no.

What am I to say? If I say no and Tanner and I fight, I might not win and I'd feel like a fool. As much as we don't like each other, I would be marrying up. My family would be so proud and maybe, just maybe Tanner really is a good person and he might actually like me. Although most boys ask for a date or even ask how they are once in their life before asking for a mating.

“No! I just... I mean...” I turn a bit to look around the crowd we seem to have gathered around to see how this all plays out. Shilo blends into the crowd, staring at me with wide brown eyes.

“Hey,” Tanner waves a hand in front of my face, to get me to look back over at him. Instead, I look over his shoulder to his brother and two friends. His friends look confused but his brother looks like he has a mixture of emotions on his face. “You in there?”

I shake my head, returning my eyes to his. “I... are you joking?”

“No.” He says blandly. “Be my mate.”

“Why?”

There is a moment of contemplation on his face before he shrugs. “Because, I want you. Now, what do you say, Sutton?”

If I said no, I would have to fight him and I'm sure I'll lose. But still, why me? Why does Tanner want me?

“Why do you want me?” I ask. “I thought you hated me.”

Tanner shrugs. “Because I do. I want you as my mate, now what do you say?”

Those dark eyes burrow into my mine. I've never seen him look so intence before. I wonder what brought this on. Maybe this is all just a joke. How could I say no? I would probably end up being his mate against my will regaurdless.

“Fine.” I say calmly, looking up into those dark eyes. “I'll be your mate.”

There is a bit of murmuring amoung our audience. A small hand reaches out and touches my arm. So lightly, I barely missed it. I look over my shoulder to see Shilo with her hand on my arm, worry in her eyes.

“Sutton, is this really what you want?” She says softly. Those large brown eyes slipping over my shoulder to the senior behind me.

“No,” I answer, turning back to Tanner, his expression unreadable. “But I don't have much of a choice. I've decided.”

“Okay,” Shilo pulls her hand back to her body and lowers her eyes.

Tanner's eyes flash with something I've never seen before. He brushes a dark curl from his eyes and turns to his friends and brother. He starts to head toward them but stops for a moment and turns back toward me, a twinkle in his eye

"Till later, mate." Then he walks away, brother and friends in tow.

It should come to no surprise now. It is completely and utterly official to myself and soon everyone in the entire school. And hometown.

Tanner Chester hates me.