Chapter 2: Annoyance

There was a single moment where I was sure this was going to turn out wrong. And that moment was when 'he' left me alone in a crowd of people, all as shocked and confused as I am.

There was just a second of silence before everyone started talking about the proposal. The looks they give. The way they turn their backs to me as if to pretend their not talking about me.  That makes me snap in anger.

"The hell are all of you looking at?" I growl and everyone turns away.

Shilo steps from the crowd to look at me, concern evident all over her face. "Was that smart?"

"Smart?" I echo sarcastically. "No. Necessary? Yes."

Shilo doesn't look convinced. She brushes a dark curl from her eyes and stares around at the people moving their way through the halls toward their homerooms. "You are a powerful psychic. You could have taken him."

I turn away from her, anger twisting the pit of my stomach. "Yeah? Well he's a powerful pyrokenetic and as you know, I don't do well with fire so let's just let it go."

"Sutton, you can't let your fear control you. It was an accident-"

"Leave it alone, Shilo!" I growl, jabbing a finger in her direction. "It was my choice, so I made it. Respect it and drop it. Thanks."

I don't mean to be so harsh to her, but it's only been like two minutes and I'm already annoyed sick by this entire ordeal. There was absolutely nothing that I could have done. I'll admit, my psychic abilities are a bit above average, but Tanner, the asshole, is a prodigy. He's considered to be the most talented senior in over twenty years. What. An. Asshole.

Shilo shrinks with a tiny nod. "Y-Yeah, sorry."

I sigh and sling my arm over the small girl's shoulders. "Me too. I didn't mean to snap at you, Shi."

"You're stressed," she mumbles quietly.

I nod. "You have no idea."

I drop Shilo off at her homeroom and made a full on run to make it to my own when the bell rings. I let out a snarl when I see them all staring at me, whispering about my proposal. "Take a picture, it'll last much longer."

Everyone turns away and I plant myself in my seat in the back of the room, laothing the world. How dare that pompous asshole ask me to be his mate? Me of all people? Doesn't he know that once we mate, we can never get rid of each other?

What the hell is his problem?

Maybe I need to think this through more. I know I said yes off the bat but I was worried if I asked to think about it he would take it as a sign of my refusal and out right declaire some sort of battle to the unintential death.

"Yo, Love, you are practically oozing death," a voice beside me says.

I twist to my right to look at Tyron Chester, the younger brother of my newly betrothed. I give him a heated glare. Twisting foreward again, I'm going to just ignore him. He's just a thron in my side, one that needs to be promptly ignored until it goes away.

"Don't be like that, Love," Tyron gives me a sultry smile.

"Look, Chester Jr., just cause you're brother and I are--"I swallow, not knowing what Tanner is to me right now, "-none of you business." I glare more at the smug look on his face. "But you and I are not friends."

"You're right," he says slowly, then leaned close and I never noticed til now how his eyes are a bit more gold than brown incontrast to his older brother's. "You and I are family now."

Not only does Tanner Chester hate me, but so does his demonic younger brother who I've had the major misfortune of sharing at least ten classes with. Don't get me wrong, I didn't have much of a problem with him then just ignoring his dumb antics but since last year when he made fun of Shilo and I clocked him, we've had a lot of bitter feelings between us.

"Leave me alone, Tyron, I've had enough of you Chesters to last me a lifetime." I sigh, turning completely away from him to stare at the door next to me.

"Then why did you say yes to my brother?" Tyron asks, oldly serious.

I turn to look at him to see his face is as serious as his tone. "Why does it matter to you?" I ask sourly.

He shrugs, "I want to know. You say you've had enough of my family, so why join it?"

I glare at him. "It's none of your busness."

He snorts and turns away from me. "Someone is a pissy bitch."

I flip him the bird and close my eyes, slouching in my chair. Today is just not the day. Why is Tanner suddenly so interested with me? Why would he just ask me to be his mate if we've never said a civil word to each other prior to that?

I don't kow what to do. I didn't want to say yes, but I couldn't very well say no.

Dropping my head on the desk with a loud plunk, ignoring the stares I'm sure I got. Why does it have to be me?

"Sutton," my homeroom teacher asks, standing by my desk, a concerned look on his face. "Are you alright?"

I nod, looking away. "Just annoyed."

The class murmurs. What a bunch of jerks, I just want to be left alone. I really hope Tanner decides to call it off so I don't have to deal with this anymore. Does tha make me a coward? Yes.

After homeroom is over, I race out the door to avoid speaking to anyone. I can stand their staring, that I can ignore, but I hear them speaking, I might scream.

I practically ran all the way to class, humiliated. By the end of the day, everyone is talking about it. I perposely go out of my way to avoid both the brothers. I don't need any taunting from Tyron nor do I need to deal with Tanner in any form he comes in.

I texted Shilo that I would talk to her later and ran for the front door, I need to escape. I need to talk to my parents. I need to get my head on straight.

In my attempt to escape, I nearly get my face scalded off by a small wall of fire that materialized in front of me. I spin around to see Tanner Chester, Tyron Chester and the lackies that seem to follow the brothers around everywhere.

Tanner's hand is outstretched flat, palm facing me. "Where are you going, Sutton?"

"Home," I seeth between my teeth. This is not the escape I had in mind, if the heat on my back is any indication. "Let me go."

"Wait, I want to talk," he says smoothly.

I spin around and wave my hand against the fire, sending it away. I about charge off but only make it three steps when another small wall nearly burns my eyebrows off.

"Tanner, I'm going to get burned if you keep doing that!" I snap, irritated. I have to get some advice from my mom and dad. They'll know what to do. How to help. But Tanner is making it extremely difficult not to catapult him off this damn planet.

"Then stop running," he says simply. "Come here so we can talk, mate."

Something in me snaps. Before I know it, I'm in his face, nose to nose, jabbing him in the chest with my pointer finger. "Listen, and listen good, Chester, I may have agreed to be your mate but that doesn't, under any circumstance, make me your bitch. We clear, mate?"  

Tanner looks amused. He leans close, brown eyes practically sparkling. "Understood."

With an annoyed huff, I turn and stop away. Just as I was about off school property, I hear him say, "I like your fire, Sutton."

Instead of responding, I break into a run to get away. I can't believe this! Why me of all people? Why is Tanner Chester suddenly so in to me?

That's it, it's official, Tanner Chester really fucking hates me.