Chapter 3: The news

Mom is home when I get there. She's in the livingroom reading over one of those chick books that she loves so much. Dad should be getting off work in a few hours.

"Sutton?" Mom calls. "Is that you?"

"Yeah," I step into the livingroom, looking at my mom. "What are you doing?"

Mom looks up from her book, a smile on her face. "Oh nothing, just reading this amazing book that came into the library this morning." Before I can stop her, she launches into a very detailed description of the story. The characters, the plot, the twists and then her personally opinion about what should happen and what could happen.

I listen quietly, not really retaining anything that she is saying but I stay reguardless. I've been very angry at school but now that I'm home, I feel numb and cold. But still I nod and wait for her to stop before I lay my back pack down and head into the kitchen.

I grab a granola bar and look around the small kitchen. Barely any counter space and a table small enough that my two older brothers, my parents and I are all elbow to elbow at it.

While a high class family like the Chesters probably have an entire cooking staff at their disposal that makes multiple courses and you probably have to yell to speak to the other people at the table. What a life.

I unwrap my granola bar and stare at the near empty pantry with a frown. Why does it have to be so hard for us? Why is social status what runs this country?

Pushing away from the wall next to the pantry, I head toward the back of the house where my room is. I close the door and flop down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. I should just tell Mom what happened. She'd be able to give me advice.

But then, why am I not going to her? Why am I so scared?

I hear the door slam and a few stomps into the house.

"Where is she?" my brother, Asher, says voice muffled by my closed door.

I sit up as I hear stomps head right toward my room. I watch as the door flies open and he steps in. Asher's eyes like twin pools of soot, nearing the boiling point.

"Is it true?" He asks, eyes narrow.

"Is what true?" I ask.

"Don't play games, Sutton!" Asher snaps, unamused. "Is it true that Tanner Chester asked you to be his mate? That you said yes?"

I look away. I know I have to tell him the truth, he already knows, he just can't believe it. I see it in his eyes, he wants me to tell him it's not.

But I can't. "It's true."

"What?" Mom gasps, rounding the corner. Her brown eyes change from their average brown to a lime green. "You what?"

I drop my head. "Tanner Chester asked me to be his mate today. I said yes."

Mom moves into the room and grabs my chin, making me look at her. "What?" she snaps, eyes flickering red. "Who is this boy? Why have we not met him?"

"You have, Mom," Asher says. "He's in my grade. He's also dad's bosses oldest son."

Mom faulters, turning to Asher. "W-what?" she turns back to me. "B-but why? I didn't think you liked boys."

I narrow my eyes. "What does that mean?"

"Not like that," Mom sighs, her eyes dimming to a dark blue. "I mean, I thought you thought boys were icky."

"Mom," I snort. "I'm seventeen not seven."

Mom looks at me with green eyes of disbelief. "Sutton, what were you thinking saying yes to that boy?"