Chapter 18

Chapter 18

When I woke up, tears were still running down my face.  I looked around the room, but Rowan, Peyton and Lyric weren’t there.  They must have already gotten up and not wanted to wake me.  I was wishing they did, because I really didn’t want to have the dream that I did after I’d left Rowan and the others.

I swung my legs over the side of the bed and started to put my boots on.  There was a knock at the door right when I was checking make sure my knives were in good.  I stood up and walked toward it, wiping my eyes with the back of my hand.  I took a deep breath to settle myself, knowing it was probably Kade coming to wake me up.

And when I swung open the door, there he was with a smile on his face.  But once he saw my red, puffy eyes, his face dropped.

“What’s wrong?” he asked. 

I looked up at him and just shook my head.  I tried to open my mouth to say something, but only a sob came out.  I reached for him.  And before I knew it, I was in the circle of his arms with my head on his chest.

“Rayney, tell me,” he whispered into my hair. 

“I don’t know what was wrong with me,” I said.  “I was chasing you and I…I was trying to kill you.  I wanted to see your blood on my hands.  I had the knife at your throat…”

“Shh,” he said.  “It was just a dream.”

“You know it wasn’t just a dream,” I said, leaning away to look at him.  “You know it.”

“Well, I guess I’ll have to watch out for what I say to you,” he said, smiling.  “I don’t want to piss you off and make you want to kill me.”

“This is serious,” I mumbled as I leaned my head back on his chest.  “I don’t know what was wrong with me.  And you were running from me.  But when I got into the room you’d run in and I tackled you down, you put your hands around my neck.”

He was quiet for a long moment as he ran his hands up and down my back.  “I’m sorry,” he said. 

“You’re sorry?” I asked.  “I’m the one who wanted you dead.”

“You don’t now, do you?” he asked.

“No,” I said after a long pause.  “I don’t want you dead.”  I don’t want you dead, but I know that you’re going to have to die, I thought.  And since I had that dream, I’m probably going to be the one to kill you.

“Well, I don’t want you dead either,” he said.  He shook a little.  “I don’t know why I would have done put my hands around your neck.  I would only do that if I was going to do one thing.”

“What?” I asked, leaning away from him.

He let go of my waist and slid his hands up my sides and over my shoulders.  They were on my neck then, and my eyes widened in fear.  He smiled and pulled me toward him again until his lips were on mine. 

I sighed as I wound my arms around his neck and his went back around my waist.  I had nothing to be scared of…other than my dreams.  I knew that he would never intentionally hurt me.

“Now,” he said, pulling back.  “You need to eat something.  You’ve got someone’s ass to kick today.  I’ll be on the sidelines watching.”

I smiled and rolled my eyes.  “I guess,” I said, and then looked back up at him.  “Thanks for making me feel a little better.”

He gave me another quick kiss and smiled.  “Anytime,” he said.