It Would Be Better

Halyn's POV

        I woke up with a throbbing headache. I'd been thinking so hard about the test that my brain was trying to kill itself. It didn't help that I was laying on cold hard cement. Ignoring the pain, I got up, cracked my spine a few times, and walked up to Brian. He was passed out, sitting up on the brick wall with his head thrown to the side. I pushed him over just enough for him to topple over with a satisfying SLAP! "Why?!" he groaned. "The choosing ceremony's today!" His eyes shot open. "Whoa, what?! That's today!?" I laughed. "I don't think you'd make it far in Erudite. Now get up and make yourself presentable."

        I shuffled through my duffel bag (A.K.A. My room) and pulled out this (http://www.polyvore.com/it_would_be_better/set?id=118080190). I'd been able to scrounge up enough clothes that were randomly thrown into the street to make one good outfit. As for the dress, I actually made it myself. Someone was stupid enough to toss a sewing machine into the streets, so I took advantage and sewed together fabric from the factions. I walked behind the tarp, changed, and walked back out to find Brian in some jeans and a baggy red T-shirt. "Oh, you didn't have to go through ALL that trouble!" I chided, giving him a smirk.

        We walked to the school, as usual, joking around and watching the Dauntless be Dauntless. When we got to the school, we gracefully shoved everyone out of the way so that we could get in the elevator (These shoes may be fabulous, but I sure ain't climbing up 20 flights). Some of that really crappy elevator music was playing, so I just tuned out the world until we got to the 20th floor (because a big school with one floor just wouldn't do). When the doors finally opened, I was pushed out of the elevator and into the auditorium.

        The crowd was humongous! Not even everyone from the factions showed up and it was still well into the thousands. I shoved more people out of the way as we tried to get in line. When we finally got there, I let out an exasperated sigh. The guy in front's last name started with a Z, so we would have to make it all the way to the back of the line. "Come on." I told Brian, grabbing his arm. As we made our way through, I told random people stuff like "'Scuse me." "Comin' through." and to one girl in particular "Oh, cute dress!" We made it to the back of the line just as the ceremony started.

        Some Abnegation guy was standing in  front of 5 colossal bowls, each filled with something representing each faction. At least I think. When they were talking about it during class, I may have accidentally fallen asleep. If I remember correctly, the rocks were for Abnegation, the fire was for Dauntless (Who could forget that?), the dirt was for Amity, the glass was for..... Erudite, maybe? Wait, no, Candor. Erudite's was filled with water. Was it? GOD! WHY didn't I pay attention? I could be wrong and end up Abnegation instead of Candor. What sucks even more is that I have NO idea what I'm even going to pick! Damn test.

        I looked at Brian. A thought had just come to me. What was HE going to pick? He hasn't really shown any signs of any faction. He's never been particularly blunt, he's never been a push-over, he'll take something if offered (but what factionless wouldn't?), he's not very bright, and he's wussed out on me before. A lot, actually. Maybe he was Divergent too? I mean, it's only one faction or all factions in our society. Or was he just MEANT to be factionless?  Oh my god, I feel a migraine coming on.

        The guy in front started talking, but my head was throbbing too loudly for me to hear. My vision was blurring and suddenly I couldn't see the bowls. I rubbed my eyes, trying to regain my sight, but I couldn't. I blinked. Suddenly, a burst of light flashed from one of the bowls. What the- It disappeared just as quickly as it had appeared. My vision was back and my headache was gone. All that I could think was Huh? "Hayln!" Brian whispered at me. The line had moved up at least 5 kids and I hadn't noticed. I stumbled forward and watched the kids go up.

        Most of them just stayed in their factions, probably too scared that they would be judged by their old faction or just straight up disgrace them. In our case, though, it didn't matter what we chose. The factionless were already disgraced. Our few friends there are just happy we get a second chance at life. There was one kid, James Tucker I think, that had enough courage to switch factions (ironically from Dauntless). Once he stumbled to the bowls and cut himself, he held his hand out over the glass and switched to Candor. I think. I could have been Erudite. Maybe Amity? UGH! WHY brain!? Why did you have to shut down the one day I needed you? I'm sure there were tons more transfers, but my ADHD kicked in and I randomly started thinking about bunnies. Yes, bunnies. Stupid, right?

        Kid after kid grabbed the knife, cut their palm, picked their faction, and went to sit in the crowd. Z to B all came and went. Then it came to us. Brian walked up as gracefully as ever. He gripped the knife, looked back up at me, and in one swift move, made a cut down his palm. Blood slowly dripped down his hand as he held it out. He stared straight in front of him, inhaled, and held his hand out over the Dauntless bowl. His blood dripped into the flames and sizzled on the coals. The room was deathly silent as he joined the others. Brian. Dauntless. I did NOT see that coming.

        I felt like I was going to throw up. I had no idea what faction to pick, I was going to be hated no matter where I went, and that flash..... It was too much. Everyone's head turned toward me. I swallowed hard and walked up the the bowls. I looked at the man and grabbed the knife, not breaking eye contact. I fumbled with it a little before I finally had a small cut on my hand. A small drop of blood dribbled down my palm. I felt like I was going to faint. I turned to the bowls. Amity, Erudite, Dauntless, Abnegation, Candor....

        I STILL didn't know what to pick. Abnegation has helped us for years, Dauntless presented a challenge, and Candor was practical. When your factionless, you learn to be practical, the easy way or the hard way. Amity and Erudite are definitely out of the picture. Frankly, I like punching stuff, so Amity isn't happening, and Erudite is just..... no. I can probably rule out Candor too, mostly because of the test. It didn't work right. How was I supposed to know if I would have told the man or not is I really didn't know the other guy?

        I looked between the rocks and the fire. Who was I going to pick? The people who've helped me through 16 years of life, or the people who've always had so much fun jumping off of trains and goofing around? I looked down at my hand. The blood was just hanging off of my skin. I closed my eyes, wishing that I had more time. But I didn't. I had to make a choice. I lifted my hand over one of the bowls. Hoping I didn't make the wrong choice, I let my blood fall on the open fire. The flash, the old man in the streets, my brother, all signs that I would belong here. In Dauntless.

A/N: Short chapter, I know, but I'm trying to update all of my stories during the break, plus I was planning on breaking off initiation into another chapter anyway. I also know it kind of sucks, but I wasn't really in the Shakespearean mood, so I made it short, sweet, and straight to the point. Give me input, please, because if you don't, I won't know if I should change stuff or if I should keep it the same, and it'll just be torture to write for the masses. Anyway, more coming soon, but not this week. I can promise you that.