The beggining.

Dan fell to the floor with strength, and smashed his head with the cold concrete. He hated training, but above all, he hated training earth bending. All his teachers were tough and play roughly with him, like he was a toy and they didn't care that he was fragile. He also hated being called fragile. As a fire bender, he couldn't afford being called that. Fire is confrontation, is explosive, is taking risks and being strong and reckless. Dan was nothing like that, he thought fire was more like life, like going back to the core of the human existence, it was like controlling heartbeats, it was passion and love if you can control it. Of course school didn't teach him that. He had that mentality from his mother, she was from the air temples, and had a way of thinking that always amazed Dan. His father, on the other hand, was a passionate member of the fire nation, always talking proudly about being lucky of living in the "best nation" and having "the best powers". Power. Dan hated that term. Who determined what power is? His father always thought that power was immediately given to you because of the amount of destruction you can make if you want to. For Dan, power comes from within, and is something that you don't know you have, nor you want. And seriously, who can possibly think ejaculate fire from the palm of your hands was better than fricking flying? He was really excited to learn that, when the time comes for him to go to the air temples and learn air bending.
Yeah, Dan was the new Avatar. "Yay" Dan thought when the great masters of fire came to tell him, "how can I possibly decline this in a polite way?" Because he had no intentions of traveling the world and save it, he was fine reading books of the bending history and listening to stories of his mom. But the universe had (better?) plans for him apparently.
Unfortunately, the journey began with earth bending, and Dan had the prejudice of people there being mean, tough, strong and confronting, and he wasn't surprise when a gigantic man came to say hi claiming to be his teacher.
"So, you are the Avatar right?" The man said with a grasp voice
"I prefer Dan if you don't mind" He answered, Dan didn't like the new name everyone was calling him.
"Yeah yeah, names don't matter, from now on prepare to be called avatar every time someone talks to you" he chuckled but Dan didn't find that funny.
"So you are my teacher right?"
"The name's Jack, but you can call me master" he winked. He felt aroused for a moment.
"I'm gonna call you Jack cause I reserve master for people that actually did something great with their lives"
"You are starting with the wrong leg, Avatar"
Apparently he didn't like that comment, because moments later he was on the floor with a massive rock almost inside him and with bruises everywhere.
"What's the matter Avatar, don't you ever lift a rock in your life?" Dan stand up
"As a matter of fact I don't, I'm a fire bender? Why would I ever-" he was interrupted by a punch in his stomach and his face met the floor again.
"Never get distracted, we can sense the movements of the enemy with the smallest move and we can predict it." He said extending a hand to help Dan. The younger one doubted for a moment but he accepted the help and stand up again. "You are not near at the level you should be Avatar, you kinda disappointed me"
"Obviously" dan said smiling but not really smiling, almost at the burst of tears and with an anger that he can feel his palms get hot with the need for burn this guy alive because he was so fucking mean at him and acting like a total jerk.
This was going to be a long journey.