4: Watching

When I got up the next morning, there was nothing to show that Nathan had ever been there. I wondered if maybe I had dreamt it. I climbed out of bed and threw my outfit on. I had picked out a grey shirt and a black knee length skater skirt. I slipped on white knee high socks and my knee high black boots. I decide to add a red plaid scarf for a pop of color and throw my hair into a messy bun.

It's a little past 7:00 when I get downstairs, so Kota is already waiting for me in the kitchen. "Good morning," I smile sleepily. We run through the morning routine without Nathan, as Kota said he was with North this morning. I had been half asleep the whole time and hadn't questioned it.

However, as we got in the car the cool air chilled me awake. As we got in, I turned to look at Kota. "Why is Nathan with North?"

He shrugged.

"He was with me last night. He came and lied down with me until I fell asleep."

Kota pushed up his glasses as he stopped at the light. "He might've gotten up in the middle of the night. I'll talk to the boys about it today."

I nodded and watched the world as we drove. Although it was January, it was bright and all the snow has melted away. The weather is a little unusual, but it was still cold. The sunny days were often misleading; the sun was bright, but not enough to erase the cold temperature.

We pulled into the school parking lot right on time. Kota was always so neat in the way he planned our schedule. We headed inside to the lockers before walking to our new meeting spot in the library, because it had been decided it was too cold to stand out in the courtyard.

When we showed up I greeted everyone with a good morning hug and pulled up a chair. "Morning guys," I say softly.

They all wave, but seem a little quiet. I watch their eyes as they look at each other, and then to Kota, and then to me. I can tell something must be going on. Without words, I just get up and look at the shelves. I glanced over my shoulder to see the boys huddled in a circle behind me. After being around them, sometimes you just know.

I hum to myself, running my fingers over the spines of the books. I see one that catches my eye and pull it from the shelf, when I'm met with eyes staring back at me. I flinch, and blink. The eyes disappear, and I peek around the shelf. There's no one there.

I bite my lip. I must be imagining things.

I check out the book and thank the librarian. By the time I've returned to the table, the boys had finished their discussion and things resumed as normal. I felt a little distracted, but I think the boys were a little distracted too so altogether we seemed to all fit in.

By the time Japanese rolled around, the boys actually seemed normal which meant I didn't fit in anymore. I kept spacing out, thinking about the eyes. Or were they even eyes? And who was it? They almost looked familiar...

"Ms. Sorenson?"

I snap to attention in my seat. I see Dr. Green is pointing to something on the board, a phrase in Japanese. I blush, flustered that I don't know what's going on.

"I'm sorry, what was the question?"

My classmates all snicker, somewhat amused and I don't down in my seat. Dr. Green doesn't ask again, simply moves onto another student. I sigh and scribble down some notes. There are two minutes left in class and Dr. Green finally allows us to pack up. I turn to Victor who is sitting behind me.

"Hi," I say quietly.

"Hi Sang. Are you feeling okay? I don't think I've ever seen you not know the answer."

"I'm alright," I said quietly. "I've just been thinking."

The bell rang suddenly and a herd of students stampeded through the classroom. I was leaving just after them when I heard Dr. Green's voice. I frowned, hoping I could get off easy.

I stood by his desk while Victor shot me a look, then left, and Dr. Green shut the door before he came to talk to me.

"What's going on?" He said softly. "Is everything alright?"

"Everything's fine."

"You think I'm gonna buy into that?"

I sighed. I didn't really feel like telling him. I mean.. I would sound crazy. Besides, it's not a big deal. Right? It was just tricks.

"I, was just thinking about.. This book I found earlier."

It was a half truth and that was better than nothing, in my book. Sean frowned, leaning over and briefly squeezing my arm.

"You know you can talk to us if something is bothering you."

"Yes, and you can too. But that doesn't mean you always tell me." I said stiffly.

"Sang, you know that-"

"I can't hear everything. I know. Can I go to my class now?"

Sean looks frustrated. I look at my hands. Finally, he sighs and sits down to write me a pass. I bite my lip, hoping I hadn't overstepped my boundaries.

I took the pass quickly and left, walking through the empty halls to my next class. I paused for a minute. I got shivers. I felt like I was being watched.

I glanced behind me. There was no one there. Well of course there wasn't.

I thought about the eyes in the library and picked up my pace again. For a moment a thought slipped that I should tell someone, and then I pushed it away. Nothing was wrong. But I felt like...

I stopped again. There was a shift in the air and I stood, unblinking, and called out quietly. There was no answer. I nodded. My hands were shaking as I finished walking to my class.

For now, the eyes were gone, and no one had to know.