7: Safe

As always, thank you for your patience, your grace, and your support. Enjoy <3

---

I didn't like the drowsy feeling that came over me as I sunk into the couch. My eyes fluttered a few times before I saw Sean's face in front of mine.

"Are you feeling okay?" He said, trying to talk loud enough over the shouting voices. I could faintly hear Mr. Blackbourne ordering everyone out. It got quieter.

"I feel dizzy... B-but I'm fine," I whispered, ignoring the throbbing pain above my eyebrow.

"You don't look fine, sweetheart, and no one expects you to be," Sean smiled gently. The seasick feeling in my stomach grew stronger. Sean started to sway, just a little and my focus felt off, like a camera adjusting after being placed on a certain focus point.

"S-Sean? You're... Blurry.."

Sean's eyebrows furrowed and I could see his eyes widen in realization. "What else? What else is wrong?"

"Tired.. dark.. blurry.. what's w-wrong?"

I felt my eyes briefly flutter shut. Or maybe it was more than briefly. Oh.

"Stay with me, Pookie! We need you here," Sean urges.

I felt my eyes droop a little and try to move my fingers to stay awake. "Am I gonna pass out?" I whisper.

"The adrenaline is leaving your body and you're stressed. Just stay awake a little longer, it's gonna pass."

I was fainting. That made so much more sense. The drowsiness was so heavy, and if I fainted now I could escape whatever happened next.. I felt someone squeezing my hand, trying to help me focus. My eyes were closing. Something cold touched my head and I thought about his cold breath on my arms.

What if something happened while I was asleep? What if someone followed me home? What do they want from me.. I could feel my heart start to speed up, as if it changed it's mind, and I felt less tired. More terrified.

I squeezed Sean's hand really tight and sat up. I remembered Sean said it would pass. He was right. It was terrifying, teetering on the edge of fainting and thinking about them. I couldn't stop thinking about them.

"Are you feeling alright now? Health wise, I mean," Sean asked softly, still worried.

I nodded, then bit my lip, feeling the urge to cry again. Sean looked at Owen, and then stood up, leaving us and going up the stairs. Owen kneeled on the floor in front of me and took my hand.

"Hello darling," he said. His tone felt surprisingly soft, and yet I could hear the strain, the urgency, in his voice. I felt awful for causing them trouble.

I took a deep breath. "I'm so sorry, this is all my fault. I should have told you guys, but I-"

"Ms. Sorenson-"

"I'm really, really sorry." I sniffed, wiping away the tears that had fallen and tried to look at him. I know how he feels about that. He tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.

"I know you are, and I know that you're scared as well, but what I really need to know is what's going on so that I can keep you safe. Do you think you can do that for me?"

I tried to smile a little as I nodded.

"Okay, good. Tell me what you know."

"The first time I saw them was... It was the day I woke up without Nathan. In the library," I said.

"You were by yourself?"

"Yes, but just in the bookshelves nearby. The boys were talking, and it wasn't for my ears," at seeing his confused look, I offered, "they do this thing with their eyes. All of you do, I don't know, I guess since you don't really say anything much, I have to learn to read your body language."

He nodded, as if to say go on.

"I felt something that day too, on my way to class after Japanese. I thought it was nothing, just my mind playing tricks on me."

He frowned and squeezed my hand. "You can always talk to us if you have concerns. We're family."

"I know, I'm just not used to this. I'm sorry."

Mr. Blackbourne nods. "Anything else?"

"The night North stayed with me. I was about to go to sleep when I felt it again. He was in the windows... I had North check for me, but he didn't see anything. So we went to sleep."

"What do you mean when you say you 'felt it'?"

"There's a shift, in the air. Unusual, but it feels natural, like they were made to... To move through the air, almost like air itself... That's how I knew he was there. I felt it."

"Have you ever seen him?"

"N-no. Just the eyes. But something tells me, it's a him. And he's like you.. But less friendly. Much less friendly..." I whispered. I shivered.

"Ms. Sorenson, I believe you are much more intuitive and attentive than we give you credit for. I only wish you would have told us sooner. Anytime you feel unsafe, please let us know."

I nodded, looking at his hands. "Now what?"

"We'll make sure you have someone with you at all possible times. It'll feel tight, but I think it's important. We need to make sure you're safe. And we need to know more, let us know anything you can."

I nodded.

"I'm going to go talk to the boys. Stay with Sean."

Sean came over and pressed the back of his hand to my forehead, but I got a feeling he didn't do it just to check my temperature; the next minute it was sliding down the side of my face and brushing against my cheek. I didn't say anything, just leaned into his touch.

"Sean," I whispered. He came and sat down next to me and I put my head on his shoulder.

"What is it pookie?"

"We have to tell my dad."

He pulled away from me and frowned. "You're right, but let's not worry about that right now."

"I wanna be the one to tell him," I say. He nods.

I curled back into his side. I tried not to focus too hard on my thoughts, instead closing my eyes and trying to picture nothing.

"Sleep a little while you can," Sean says softly beside me. "I'll be right here."

"Promise?"

"I promise. You're safe."