Chapter 1

P E T R I C H O R

The pleasant, earthy smell after rain.

Evelyn woke up to the sound of raindrops dripping on her bedroom window

Evelyn woke up to the sound of raindrops dripping on her bedroom window. She loved the sound of rain and thunder. The pleasant smell of the moisty air and the wet oak streaming through her now open window, made her want to stay in bed forever. She gazed soberly at the people who were walking on the streets below her. They were all headed towards their jobs; they all looked busy. Evelyn couldn't help but think about her childhood when she saw all the people stressing around on the wet streets with their umbrellas above their heads. They reminded her of her dad. The dad who never had time for his little girl, Evelyn.

After speculating about her dad for a good fifteen minutes and studying every single person who had walked past her apartment building, Evelyn looked down at her bedside table. Her iPhone buzzed to life when her alarm went off. She stared at her phone for a couple of minutes before turning it off. Her background image of her and a tall guy with curly brown hair, made her smile. She missed him. She missed hanging out with her best friend, Andrew Lincoln. The only person who actually understood her, respected her, and wanted to go through fire and water for her.

Evelyn unlocked her iPhone and switched off all her alarms before placing it on the bedside table again. She let out a big sigh as she decided to leave her bed and make herself ready for another long day at Patrick's coffee shop. The only thing she hated about her job was Patrick. She loved making coffee and interacting with the local customers, but she didn't like being yelled at; especially not by Patrick Sanders Smith. His sarcastic comments and spiteful looks always made Evelyn's skin crawl. When he first hired her, he was nice and caring, but that changed after he tried to invite her out. She refused and he got mad. Andy had told Evelyn to resign many times after that episode, but Evelyn loved her job and colleagues, so she never did. She only considered it. Having Andrew close to her made her job extra good. Andrew and the rest of the lovely The Walking Dead cast coming by to grab cappuccinos and coffee almost every week, made it all worth it. When Andrew first introduced Evelyn to the cast, she found out that they actually were really nice people. Ever since that, the cast started caring about her. Especially Norman Reedus. But little did she know, that she was soon going to fall in love with his best friend, a mysterious tall man with a salt and pepper beard that could make your knees weak and heart poor.

Evelyn opened her wardrobe equipped with a huge mirror, and looked through the hangers and sighed in exasperation. There were lots of dresses, blouses, trousers, and cardigans, but she had to wear her working clothes. Evelyn hated wearing her working clothes. It made her feel uncomfortable sometimes, especially because of Patrick.

After standing in front of her wardrobe staring at every single piece of well-maintained and good quality clothing, she finally came across a pair of jeans that she wanted to wear with her dark green, working shirt. She took them gently in her hands and smoothed the denim fabric. She closed the wardrobe door and sighed again. She watched herself in the mirror as she got dressed. 'Who would cast a glance at me? Who would date such an unattractive creature, like me?' Evelyn often asked herself. She preferred to wear oversized shirts and hoodies to hide from reality. She hated how some of the girls from the local school across the coffee shop looked at her. Their judgy eyes always made her feel bad about herself, and she didn't know why. She was older than them and way more mature, but at some point, she couldn't stop thinking about what they thought of her. Evelyn once told Patrick about the rude students who often visited his coffee shop, but all he did was laugh at her words.